PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish attacking Flame Hawkfish help

Fesso
03-29-2014, 03:27 PM
I just added a flame Hawkfish to my 60G and my 2 clowns are totally ganging up on it and pinning it into a corner. They are relentless. Nipping at the Hawk ect...
The Hawk actually has defending its self pretty good... too good. I found the clown and the Hawk on the sandbed, the Hawk had the clowns fin in its mouth and wouldn't let go. I intervened with a turkey baster, the clown seems OK but its fin is injured, it's kind of favouring the fin a little....

Not sure what to do. The way my rockwork is set up I have little to NO chance of catching the Hawk. I may be able to catch the female clown and put it in my fuge for a turn....

The clowns are back at it now... hunting and pinning the Hawk.... I thought maybe the female clown would have learned her lesson.... guess not...

Reef Pilot
03-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Surprised the hawkfish can't find a rock crevice somewhere to hide. You could try adding a small piece of PVC pipe for him to take shelter for a while.

Fesso
03-29-2014, 04:28 PM
There are loads of places for the Hawk to hide, I have ceramic rock walls all along the back of the tank with lots of platforms....everywhere she goes she gets pinned in by the 2 clowns. They follow it around...

Now my Starry Blenny is getting in on the action, guarding the Hawk into a corner of the rock wall...

I am hoping this is just a territory establishment game and they figure it out... it got pretty serious there with the Hawk actually grabbing the clown's fin and pinning it to the sandbed. I thought maybe the clown would have learned it's lesson there but alas they are still at it.

Rkaustinen
03-29-2014, 04:40 PM
That's interesting I just did the same thing a couple weeks ago and my flame hawk and clowns actually hang out together. Your clowns obviously have a spot or rock in the tank they like. I would try moving some aqua scraping around in the tank.

Myka
03-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Tape a mirror to the side of the tank. Both the Clownfishes and the Blenny should have such a strong distaste for conspecifics that they should be well distracted. In the meantime, turn of the lights on the tank so the Hawkfish can relax a bit.

Fesso
03-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Mirror trick seems to be working, at least they are distracted, thanks.

Myka
03-29-2014, 06:57 PM
You're welcome. Leave the mirror on there for a week or so. That will give the Hawkfish time to settle in and hold his own as well as allow the other fish to settle down.