PDA

View Full Version : Fenbenzole for clove polyps

Starry
03-24-2014, 03:37 AM
Has any one tried treating in tank with this stuff?
http://maxdraco.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/fenbendazole-eliminate-invasive-soft-corals-blue-cloves-polyps-xenia-aiptasia-hydriods-etc/
I have a 180 gallon tank with 50 gallons in sump. I picked up 10ml of liquid Safegaurd. I'm hoping if I mix 5ml in 1 gallon RO, then dose 1/2 gallon mixture it will be enough to kill off the cloves without adverse affects to the rest of the life in my tank. I have aprox 250lbs of rock in my tank that is totaly infested with both blue and brown cloves. Its even growing in the sand. Kalking or removing rock is not an option.

Off the top of my head livestock that MAY be affected includes:

3 clams
blood shrimp
cleaner shrimp
porcelain crab
hermits
various snails
RBTA
Corky finger Gorg
many many sps

Any thoughts on this?

Madreefer
03-24-2014, 03:43 AM
Good luck and please keep us updated if you do this treatment. I had the same problem as you and I had to do two doses of fluke tabs to eradicate my clove polyps. Lost my shrimps.

Starry
03-24-2014, 04:00 AM
Would rather do the fluketab treatment, however it's impossible to find.
The problem with the fenbendazole is once its in your tank, its there indefinitely as it penetrates the rock and doesn't break down.

Starry
04-20-2014, 02:34 AM
went ahead with this. only negative side effects were all my spagetti worms died (as well as bristle worms) and have a slight alge bloom. lost a few snails but no biggie. removed clams and gorg prior to treatment. all cloves are gone.

Aquattro
04-20-2014, 02:46 AM
What else was in the tank that did ok?

Starry
04-20-2014, 04:25 AM
sps, zoas, hammer and frogspawn corals, RBTA's, Galaxy coral, Duncan. Even my cleaner and fire shrimp are fine. The fish didnt seem phased at all. I did however notice my Hawaiian feather dusted hasnt opened in 2 days. Snails and spaghetti worms are the only regrettable losses.

My 4 clams and GSP on tonga branch are at a friends place for the time being. I'm not sure about the clams but know for a fact the GSP would die as the 1 small patch I had remaining in the tank is gone.

Hoping a few more days of wet skimming as well as running carbon and Chemi-pure, and 1 more WC will end the matter.

Oh, I dosed the full 10ml by the way, 5ml only irritated the cloves.

Madreefer
04-20-2014, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the update and good to hear something else works. Fluke tabs are like 8-tracks

Craigdillman
04-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Glad you had good luck with that man always so nervous dosing a full reef with chemicals nice to see some work out well