PDA

View Full Version : anyone experience with ruby red dragonet?

clowny
03-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Saw 3 at LFS, was tempted but took to checking info on my phone saw very low survival rate and even less information. Anyone have experience with one or two?
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g291/armagedon48/RubyRedDragonts-2_zpsdb4c75dd.jpg

Kait
03-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Oh my gosh. I'm sorry, I don't know any thing about them, but she is beautiful!!!

toytech
03-24-2014, 01:08 AM
Same care as any dragonet , pod eaters , hard to wean onto other foods .

clowny
03-24-2014, 01:21 AM
Thanks I didn't know for sure I assumed but everyone in this hobby knows what happens when you assume about something they are going to put in their tank.

Ram3500
03-24-2014, 01:28 AM
Wow I have never seen one of thoes beautiful fish !!

Jan
03-24-2014, 02:45 AM
I've had a female for 2-3 months now in a 29 biocube. She is scooting around and seems to be doing very well.

uniboob
03-24-2014, 11:53 AM
I have heard people having success with them in nano tanks. Anything larger and they just get lost I think.

If your tank is well established and on the smaller side with no pod competitors you should be fine with 1, or if you know it's a pair. I had some red and white ones eating cyclopeeze.

These fish are a craze right now in Toronto. I believe only the 2nd time they have seen them come in, and I keep seeing more and more coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryanerickson
03-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Pretty sure we will be seeing this fish more often great looking fish I want one for my nano.how much are people paying for this fish anyone?

ronau
03-24-2014, 03:49 PM
I had a couple of males for a few days. Once I realized they were 2 males, I sold one and a day later my remaining male jumped.

Great while I had them, the LFS had them feeding on brine shrimp before they were for sale.

Pretty sure we will be seeing this fish more often great looking fish I want one for my nano.how much are people paying for this fish anyone?

I've heard as much as $109 lately but I paid $60 for mine.

gqlmao
03-24-2014, 04:17 PM
I had one too, he was eating brine and Mysis. They don't seem to be as picky as mandarins. Mine went carpet surfing as well... with a plastic lid on, how it happened is past me.

I had a couple of males for a few days. Once I realized they were 2 males, I sold one and a day later my remaining male jumped.

Great while I had them, the LFS had them feeding on brine shrimp before they were for sale.

I've heard as much as $109 lately but I paid $60 for mine.

darkreef
03-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Two small for a big tank , not enough food for a little tank ..
You judge but I think there a waste of money .
The ones iv been seeing are as big as a quarter maybe

Alyssa
12-03-2014, 01:43 AM
I have had a female (I believe) for approx 5 weeks. She is in QT, seeded with liverock and sand from our DT. She is doing really well eating frozen brine. She is pretty small about 1 1/2 inches. I am having troubles finding a lot of info on the Morley and I am wondering if anyone knows how big she will get. I am pretty shocked at the price everyone is saying, I think I paid like $40 for her.she is very beautiful but the biggest chicken I have ever met.

mohammadali
12-03-2014, 02:22 AM

Hey Ryan check out the king ed they bring this fish sometimes

kamloops_reefer
12-03-2014, 03:53 AM
Had mine for about 2 months in a 125gallon. All is well but I have plenty of pods

ScubaSteve
12-03-2014, 04:42 AM
Old thread revival! I'm totally in on this fun!

I had one too. He was in my Biocube. He was awesome. He was way cooler than the other fishes and was so rare that none of the other fishes had ever heard of him - an aquatic hipster if you will.

He was majestic. In fact, so majestic he felt that he should rule skies as well as the sea, and being a fish hipster he felt he was too cool for the water because everyone else was doing it... so one day he took off for open air, a flying streak of brilliant red light like one of Zeus' lightning bolts thrown from heaven. He flew through the air with all the majesty of a bald eagle!

...Then SPLAT! he crashed right into the fish guard I had put in place to prevent his escape into the dark, pump impeller-infested waters of the dreaded rear chamber. But, like I said, this fish was majestic... so majestic that through sheer will he rejected the notion of returning to his former life in the water and instead levitated like a fishy reverse-Jesus who could walk on air instead of water (read: stuck to the fish guard employed specifically to prevent his untimely demise)...

...and there he remained plastered to the fish guard, his holy body slime keeping him firmly secured in a cruciform position several inches above the water where... he sadly died a slow, ironic death like the fish-hipster he was...

RIP, you beautiful bastard :sad:

Kellyscoral
12-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Same story here - had two. After about two weeks of trying to get them to eat (they didn't even want to eat pods it seemed at first) they both jumped through an opening of about only one inch. I liked them so much I went and bought 2 more. Same thing again. So as beautiful as they are, I will never try keeping them again.

CM125
12-03-2014, 09:24 PM
We also had one for a couple weeks, it ate well but disappeared one day. Never found it :( we replaced with a regular red scooter whos doin great

The Guy
12-04-2014, 05:54 AM
I have a red male scooter blennie rehomed to me from Gregg. Gregg you'll be happy to know "Chico" is now eating 5mm pellets along with Mysis and of course pods. He's fattening up and looking great, flies his dorsal all the time. I'll try and get a picture of him and post it.

seabreeze
12-04-2014, 06:17 PM
I've had a male and several females for at least 4-5 months now. The often display a spawning ritual. Got them from Oceanic in Aldergrove - check with Paul and Albert :biggrin:

The Guy
12-04-2014, 10:13 PM
I've had a male and several females for at least 4-5 months now. The often display a spawning ritual. Got them from Oceanic in Aldergrove - check with Paul and Albert :biggrin:
You must have lots of pods available with all the females, are they trained onto Mysis or pellets, what size tank?

seabreeze
12-05-2014, 05:47 PM
They only eat pods... constantly hovering over the live rock and picking at 'invisible food' with their beaks. They get even more intense in colors than what the pics show. If you can keep a mandarin you can keep these happy too. I have the RSM 500 S Series... roughly 132 gallon but part of that is the sump. I'm in Langley too so feel free to drop in :biggrin:

seabreeze
12-05-2014, 05:48 PM
And check with Albert if he can get some :biggrin:

duncangweller
12-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Definitely worth a look at Janet's tank Laurie.

seabreeze
12-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks Duncan :wink:

The Guy
12-06-2014, 05:32 AM
Definitely worth a look at Janet's tank Laurie. Yes I'll have get over one day and have look at your tank. Send me a text with your phone # and then I can get a hold of you to make arrangements. My cell 604 772 0423
Cheers Laurie :smile: