PDA

View Full Version : aptaisia(?)anemone

reefnut
08-01-2004, 03:21 PM
well i bought a rock covered in button polyps from big als in burnaby.It had this little brown anemone growing out of it.I asked the lady what it was and she told me some kind of anemone.Then she told me it was a good one.So i bought it :redface: .Turns out it is bad what can i do to kill it and not hurt the button polyps.

Manny
08-01-2004, 04:53 PM
i heard you can inject it with lime juice from a seringe. i don't know if that will hurt the pollips next to it though.

i got rid of my aptasia out break witha couple of peppermint shrimp. i had about 20-30 in my tank though, and so will you if you do not get rid of it quickly. i read that a moderatlky sized aptasia can produce up to 60 offspring a day :eek: :eek:

p.s. don't smush it becouse the bits that are lift in the tank can become new aptasia.

:confused: why are the bad things so easy to keep and the good things so hard :confused:

good luck

reefnut
08-01-2004, 04:59 PM
well ive had it for about a month and i still only have theone i think.my tank is 33 gal and i can see most of the rock and there are no more.Maybe it isnt aptaisia then.Also it is growing out of a hole in the rock and any time i get near it it shoots into this hole.What do you guys think?Blast it or let it live?

Manny
08-01-2004, 05:02 PM
could it be some kind of tube worm :confused: the aptasia i had were not quick at all and didn't behave like that.

reefnut
08-01-2004, 05:03 PM
a breif description.it is about two inches tall.Its head is about the size of a nickel and it has about 50 arms.Its arms are kinda a translucent brown and his mouth area is kinda a pale white.

vanreefer
08-23-2004, 09:29 AM
doesn't sound like aptasia to me, could always add a pepermint shrimp and see if it's gone the next day :idea:
aptasia is only a danger to corals as it can sting them. If it is living in close proximity to your zoos without doing any damage to them it is probably not aptasia...

Dano

Aquattro
08-23-2004, 02:37 PM
moved to Reef forum

Vagabond
08-23-2004, 06:07 PM
I have been doing the aiptasia battle in my tank for awhile now and have found two treatments that are effective: "Joes Juice" seems to work well however they seem to return after awhile and I find it rather messy. I have had good success with simply blasting the little buggers with boiling water from a small syringe. Even if they retreat into the hole and mine are fast to do so, just place the tip in the hole and fire away.

I just added a peppermint shrimp 2 days ago and hopefully he will rid the rock work of the stragglers I can't reach with the above methods.

Good Luck!

danny zubot
08-26-2004, 08:15 PM
I second the boiling water method. I use a turkey baster though, it alows you to empty the boiling water on the aptasia and then sucking the remains with the next action. I've killed about three or four in the past year and the method works well.

Corey
08-26-2004, 08:24 PM
When I started I bought about 10 pounds of rock that were just covered in aptasia, me being new thought they were cool. I have just now finally rid my tank of the little buggers. I killed probably 50 or so using a syringe full of a paste made with Kalkwatser and water ( doesnt even have to be hot). I just squirted the mixture into its mouth and poof, gone. Ialso added a couple of peppermint shrimp to get rid of the little ones.

hawk
08-27-2004, 10:31 PM
were there not pictures of this in this thread before?