PDA

View Full Version : PAINT FOR INSIDE TANKS

Azilla
08-01-2004, 05:05 AM
Hello.

I just wanted to know what paint can be used inside water. Reason i ask is i have a 20gal tank with overflow sitting here and the overflow is clear i would like to paint in a solid color so u cannot see the Durso..... so the tank is clean now and nothing in it ready to be painted.

Vagabond
08-01-2004, 06:03 AM
Not sure I would trust any paint, even after it has cured, in a salt water environment :eek: .

I would suggest another method of disguising your overflow.

In my tank I covered the back glass with black, matte finish, mac-tac vinyl and I made my stockman standpipe with grey PVC making it much less noticeable.

Perhaps try some thin, dark tinted, acrylic panels cut to size and superglued or siliconed to the glass.

Or, as this hobby is an exercise in patience, simply let the corraline algae cover the glass of your overflow :smile: .

I'm sure others will come up with some other, clever suggestions.

HTH

Scott

trilinearmipmap
08-01-2004, 06:04 AM
Just wait for coralline to cover the glass.

By definition any paint contains solvent which would be toxic.

Also look on any can of paint you will see the symbol for "toxic" ie. a skull and crossbones or similar warning sign.

I wouldn't paint the inside of a tank.

Jack
08-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Silicone new black acrylic over the old.

Azilla
08-01-2004, 06:29 AM
dunno where to get black acrylic around me

Zerandise
08-01-2004, 04:54 PM
well...

drinking water is held in wood barrels painted with 2 parts epoxy paint for potable water. Its food safe. Hard to find but has been used inside fish tanks and retile tanks for years.

little reef
08-01-2004, 05:25 PM
ICI PAINTS make a product called bar rust 22 it is used for lining
containers for potable water.

kris_willard
08-02-2004, 06:53 AM
Saltwater corrodes things substantially faster than fresh water i would be wary of any paint.Stainless steel is food safe but if you put it in saltwater it will corrode and Leach chemicals into the tank. Something to think about.

Azilla
08-02-2004, 07:58 AM
paint is a $120 anyways i need to find arcylic black dunno where to get it

kris_willard
08-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Look up "plastics" in the yellow pages you shouldbe able to find an acrylic shop somewhere. Did you try home depot?

reefhawk
08-02-2004, 07:53 PM
why not just paint the outside of the tank ? or did i miss something

Azilla
08-02-2004, 08:40 PM
i have a clear overflow box :( looks like pooh!

Azilla
08-02-2004, 08:41 PM
WHat about that DIY ROCK????? if i mold the overflow box to look like a rock will that work?????

trilinearmipmap
08-02-2004, 10:26 PM
well...

drinking water is held in wood barrels painted with 2 parts epoxy paint for potable water. Its food safe. Hard to find but has been used inside fish tanks and retile tanks for years.

Learn something new everyday, I stand corrected.

Anyway Azilla I would just forget about it and wait for coralline algae to cover the back wall of the tank.