PDA

View Full Version : Picky eater

brotherd
03-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Hey all. What do you feed your Naso tang, how much, and how often?

BlueTang<3
03-22-2014, 01:55 AM
How large is yours mine is about 8-10 inch. Hand feed nori daily as well as new era algae grazers. Feed new era pellets and flakes every second day and frozen once a week. Oddly enough out of my 10 ish tangs my naso is the only one who bites me, when I put the algae grazers in they go nuts either has really bad aim when excited or its intentional but almost every day I get nibbled on.

Slyguy00
03-22-2014, 04:42 AM
If your having a hard time getting it to eat, you could try soaking your seaweed in garlic. It works quite well and is made to entice picky eaters. They sell it at most lfs.

Drazil
03-22-2014, 05:03 AM
I feed my blonde naso roasted sea weed that I buy at super store all of my tangs go crazy over it and it's cheap 55 big sheets for $2.30 I also feed plankton wich I buy off Tim t. When I first bought my naso it had a pinched belly and wouldn't eat till I bought the roasted sea weed and tried it strongly recommend it it's cheap and my fish are thriving on it.

Cheers.

Cujo#31
03-22-2014, 04:49 PM
They need meaty foods as well such as krill and mysis. Mine destroy those when I drop it in. I also mix in small ammount of angel/tang targeted flake and pellet too. I also drop a decent sized chunk (what they can kill in a day) of red weed, purple weed, noori. Just vary their diet a bit cuz nutrients found in one not often found in others.

brotherd
03-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.I feed purple seaweed and nori in a clip.Also pe mysis and cyclopeze alternated with nutrafin flakes and pellets. Doesn't seem interested in any of it but does graze on the rockwork so he is eating,just not very much.He is new to my tank and only about 4.5 inches long.

Cujo#31
03-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.I feed purple seaweed and nori in a clip.Also pe mysis and cyclopeze alternated with nutrafin flakes and pellets. Doesn't seem interested in any of it but does graze on the rockwork so he is eating,just not very much.He is new to my tank and only about 4.5 inches long.
As long as he is picking at rock work u and ur fish should be fine. New to the tank...sometimes until they find their comfort zone and truely acclimate (which can take some time) what they get off the rocks will be fine until they realize the other crap that randomly floats around from time to time is actually pretty yummy.
Being in a closed system and not the wide open ocean their nutrient intake does not have to be as high because he doesnt swim as far. If u dont have any super sensitive corals u could try lowering salinity for a short period to around 1.20. Lower saline levels reduces stress on fish.

Cujo#31
03-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Crap!!!! Almost forgot, raise salinity back REEEEAL SLOWLY though. take 2 days to drop saline, a week to raise it back up.

Cujo#31
03-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Double crap!!!! if you dont have super accurate salinometer dont try dropping saline. check to see if saline is elevated at all too? Higher saline=higher stress levels on fish. Anything over 1.25 not so good

DSlater
03-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Agree with the above posters. The fact that your Naso is picking off your rocks is a good sign.
Our Blond doesn't like the purple or red, Julian Sprung seaweed. Loves the green sushi nori that we get from the grocery store and mixed with garlic.
In general, the Naso is a laid back tang. Took ours close to a month to start eating heavy, now goes through a full sheet a day along with a meaty meal.
With other tangs we had to grind shrimp into rubble rock to teach them to eat. Knowing where the food comes from is part of the battle.