PDA

View Full Version : what do you dose?

Amadod2
03-20-2014, 06:04 AM
so what do you guys out there use in your system to dose. i myself make three solutions of alk, cal and mag and run it through a vertex libra i then once a week dose trace elements.
who doses store bought 2part and what are your experiences? and do any of you guys add trace elements?

BlueTang<3
03-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Dosing the tropic marin balling salts, never tried other methods. I am very busy and this suits our life style I have a bunch of ziplock containers pre measured out and add 5 l of or water and then chemical swirl and good for 10-15 days. Takes seconds. Dose about 250 ml of alk and ca a day and 500 of mag. Been getting good results with stability so far. These salts have the trace elements built in.

Aquattro
03-20-2014, 12:54 PM
I dose with a Ca reactor. I refill it twice a year.

kien
03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Dosing Alk and Calc only. Sodium Bicarbonate and Calcium bulk from BRS. GHL Doser.

Reefer Rob
03-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Currently dosing alkalinity and calcium. As my tank matures I'll likely need to dose magnesium as well.

No need to dose trace elements, water changes take care of that. Synthetic sea salts have a much higher concentration of trace elements than NSW. For many of the elements it would likely be beneficial to lower them.

The Composition Of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes (http://web.archive.org/web/20001215070800/http:/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp)

Reef Pilot
03-20-2014, 02:30 PM
I dose alk at night and Ca during the day. And Mg with a water change every 3 weeks.

daplatapus
03-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Dosed BRS alk, Ca and Mg for a year or two. Bought a Ca reactor and never looked back. Like Brad said, refill 2X a year and it keeps my all and Ca rock solid. I still dose a few ml Mg every day.

pinkreef
03-20-2014, 03:15 PM
I dose half a cap each of alk mag and calcium at each weekly water change 20g tank and 14g tank

mseepman
03-20-2014, 03:23 PM
I dose Alk and Kalk and CA plus prodibio every 15 days. Nice and simple...keeps the nutrients low.

Doug
03-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Currently BRS bulk calcium, buffer and magnesium. Soon my calcium reactor will be running and I will only dose magnesium, if needed.

I also use Prodibio every 2nd week and MB7 on occasion.

Amadod2
03-20-2014, 04:32 PM
the reason i ask is, the other day i added trace elements and i noticed great polyp extension with my corals even the ones that arent doing so well. for salt im using instant ocean the one with the orange lid, maybe i should look at getting better salt mix.

straightrazorguy
03-20-2014, 04:41 PM
the reason i ask is, the other day i added trace elements and i noticed great polyp extension with my corals even the ones that arent doing so well. for salt im using instant ocean the one with the orange lid, maybe i should look at getting better salt mix.

Which trace elements are you using?

I am currently only dosing Kalk, but I am starting to fall behind with both Calcium and Alk. I am contemplating either two-part or Balling. This thread is very helpful...

Amadod2
03-20-2014, 04:51 PM
im using kent marine essential elements. i would like more info on the balling system, if any of you know of some easy helpful links??

FishyFishy!
03-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Look through this Vendors posts in regards to balling:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=91

gregzz4
03-21-2014, 01:39 AM
For nearly 2 years I've been using Seachem - both Reef Builder and Advantage Calcium, and have been using Brightwell's Magnesion-P for a few months
These are great for small or low-demand tanks, but ...

My tank is demanding more, so I'm currently switching over to Randy's 2-part. I'm calculating a potential savings of $100/yr
I bought;
Epsom Salts and Baking Soda @ Walmart
Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate from Big Al's Online
Calcium Chloride @ Home Hardware

I'd run a Calcium Reactor, but for now it's not in the budget
Maybe next year :sad:

NIVLEM09
03-21-2014, 05:32 AM
I dose kent marine 2 part nano every other day.ive tried b-ionic for a while but my tank inhabitants didn't responded poorly,so I reverted back to using kent.

Reef Pilot
03-21-2014, 01:42 PM
For nearly 2 years I've been using Seachem - both Reef Builder and Advantage Calcium, and have been using Brightwell's Magnesion-P for a few months
These are great for small or low-demand tanks, but ...

My tank is demanding more, so I'm currently switching over to Randy's 2-part. I'm calculating a potential savings of $100/yr
I bought;
Epsom Salts and Baking Soda @ Walmart
Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate from Big Al's Online
Calcium Chloride @ Home Hardware

I'd run a Calcium Reactor, but for now it's not in the budget
Maybe next year :sad:
Calcium Choride from Home Hardware?... Hmmm, might have to check that out.
Do you use Baking Soda as is, or do you bake it or something?

My road salt MgCl2 has been good, so don't need anymore of that. I manually dose it with my water change together with my Epsom Salts.

mark
03-22-2014, 02:25 AM
using and following from RHF DIY 2 part (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/) writeup. Ca and Alk once a hour with CP pump, Mg manually.