PDA

View Full Version : Ont to Calgary roadtrip - what is the best reef shop?

liz
03-18-2014, 09:27 PM
I am going to be in Calgary this Friday and I was wondering what is the best reef shops to visit and where are they?
Thanks Liz

tlhood
03-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Most of the reef shops I have been to are located in a "circuit" in the North East around Deerfoot and McKnight, then down to 16th Ave.

I've been to Pisces, Concept, Big Al's, and Wai's.

I would definitely recommend stopping by Concepts.

Magickiwi
03-18-2014, 09:56 PM
I'd recommend Wai's and Reef Wonderland as the two best coral stores in Calgary. In terms of livestock you're probably best going to Pisces or if you're desperate Big Al's.

Karsten
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
I would say dont forget about Golds on 17th SE for surprise corals.
Ocean creation and wais for fish.
riverfront aquariums for inverts.
Ocean Wonderland for coral.
Concept for coral Frags.
Pisces and Big Als for dry goods.

liz
03-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Ok, thanks. I think I will be stopping at Concepts as I am interested in the frags.
I don't need any equipment. I noticed a lot of the sponsors on here are from Ontario?

Baker
03-19-2014, 01:27 AM
I would hit wais, concept and reef wonderland. Stay away from Golds, the coral looks like its dying.

Magickiwi
03-19-2014, 02:38 AM
riverfront aquariums for inverts.

I wouldn't buy a bus ticket at that dump...

Baker
03-19-2014, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't buy a bus ticket at that dump...

Haha, I wouldnt step into that place.

Skimmer Juice
03-19-2014, 03:42 AM
I would hit wais, concept and reef wonderland. Stay away from Golds, the coral looks like its dying.

stay away from this guy's advice, Gold's is one of the best lfs in the city.

Baker
03-19-2014, 03:49 AM

Based on what? Oh it must be the cramped dirty tanks and the bleached out corals. Oops sorry.

kien
03-19-2014, 03:59 AM
I'm not sure if there is a "best reef shop." Everyone has their favourites. Personally I like to visit them all as much as I can. We don't have a lot of reef shops in the city and the ones we do have are different enough to warrant a visit (except for Riverfront. Seriously, stay away from that place if you value your time. Their selection and husbandry for Saltwater is abysmal). As for all the other stores, you can easily catch them on one of their good days or bad days. I've seen coral die off, fish death and tank crashes at all the local stores. I've also seen wonderfully healthy fish, coral and selection at all the stores (save for Riverfront).

liz
03-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Ok, thanks everyone! That gives me a few to visit - I leave for Calgary tomorrow and will be there all next week! Looking forward to doing the rounds and maybe seeing some of you too?

Magickiwi
03-19-2014, 02:12 PM

Gold's is a great shop. They are an example of a very good LFS in a very ugly shop. :) I've gotten some outstanding stuff from them and I've found them to be the cheapest in the city for snails and hermits. The important thing is to hit them after they get their deliveries; people line up outside to be the first to shop the new livestock and coral.

Baker
03-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Gold's is a great shop. They are an example of a very good LFS in a very ugly shop. :) I've gotten some outstanding stuff from them and I've found them to be the cheapest in the city for snails and hermits. The important thing is to hit them after they get their deliveries; people line up outside to be the first to shop the new livestock and coral.

That may be true but it seems like every time I go in there the acros look bleached out. So that says to me, either the water quality sucks so there is no maintenence being done or the lites are poor. Either way, I personally would not waste my time if I was coming in from out of town. Theres just other shops that are better. Liz, Golds is closed on Thursdays just so you know.

liz
03-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Ok, thanks Baker!

jordanc_17
03-22-2014, 09:03 PM
That may be true but it seems like every time I go in there the acros look bleached out. So that says to me, either the water quality sucks so there is no maintenence being done or the lites are poor. Either way, I personally would not waste my time if I was coming in from out of town. Theres just other shops that are better. Liz, Golds is closed on Thursdays just so you know.

I disagree with not wasting your time. When I go to a new city I check out every reef store regardless of what the locals say. I'd say check out Gold's, might as well!

SteveCGY
03-22-2014, 09:17 PM
+1 check out golds. Never had a problem with them.

Drfu
03-25-2014, 05:40 AM

I agree, i like Golds as well, great frag tank & cheap. They know their coral & have good selection. Only issue i can come up with is make sure you dip ur corals first as i once got one with some bubble algae & one with apistsia but dipping cures all!