PDA

View Full Version : bacterial slime in sump

Proteus
03-17-2014, 06:05 PM
This morning I pulled a water sample from sump to test mg. I noticed that I have some clear slime on water surface. I do belive it to be bacterial from the carbon dosing (zeo) and am wondering if it's bad for tank inhabitants.
When I get.off work I'm going to.clean out sump and flush.it with nsw to be sure it's gone.

Is this normal?

I've slowed my return down in the last week to allow more dwell time for skimmer to pull surfactants out. Doing so my skimmer has improved.
Also added three new fish in last week

gqlmao
03-17-2014, 06:11 PM
I believed that zeostones, when dosing with zeobak, zeostart2, and zeofood creates a white mulm film. Therefore it needs to be stirred daily. Zeovit says that the film is good for corals and can be used as food.

Proteus
03-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Yes I agitate the stones daily. This I don't think is mulm though.
It's slimy like egg white

gqlmao
03-17-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't know exactly what it could be then. I know when I overdosed vodka I had long strands of white slime sticking to my glass.

mark
03-17-2014, 06:39 PM
got a bit of a film in my sump even with no zeo.

trilinearmipmap
03-17-2014, 09:49 PM
I noticed a small amount of goopy sticky clear mucusy gunk in my fuge after I started dosing vinegar + nitrate (not sure which one is responsible because started nitrate not long after starting vinegar). It was kind of disgusting.

Proteus
03-17-2014, 10:41 PM
I noticed a small amount of goopy sticky clear mucusy gunk in my fuge after I started dosing vinegar + nitrate (not sure which one is responsible because started nitrate not long after starting vinegar). It was kind of disgusting.

Ive read about it happening from od of carbon so that could be it.

You were dosing nitrate?

waynemah
03-17-2014, 11:05 PM
I think I know what your talking about. More water surface agitation helped when I notice it...

Proteus
03-18-2014, 12:08 AM
I think I know what your talking about. More water surface agitation helped when I notice it...

It's only in the rp chamber. Unless I put ph in there I can't do more agitation

I slowed down return to allow skimmer to process more before returning to dt

waynemah
03-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Got a pic?

Proteus
03-18-2014, 12:32 AM
I'll try when I get home

H2o2
03-18-2014, 01:39 AM
This is the best 35$ I ever spent as I had a film in my frag tank ,I gave it a spin in a bucket of warm fresh water for 20 mins then put in frag tank and I don't know if it was 5 mins and the film was gone no kidding. Just heads up they are selling fast and Jeff told me his are selling fast . Eheim Skim 350 Surface Skimmer at JLs

Proteus
03-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Great idea. Problem for me is its only in rp section of sump.

Either was I sponged it up. Wayne I tried to get a pic but no-go. When I took it out it was just like drooling egg white. This has only happened since I started zeo so...I think what has happened is I've had high 4 and the suggestion from the zeo forum was to slightly increase my dosing so I would think the slime is a byproduct of the bacteria. No that it's removed I'm hoping tgat slowing down my return pump will allow the skimmer to skim it out.

I read a article about flow through the sumo and it suggested tgat with to high of flow through sump the surfactants are pushed through the sump to fast to be taken up by the refuge skimmers and other equipment.

To me thus would make sense on why it's only in the last chamber

waynemah
03-18-2014, 09:44 PM
It sounds like there is a protein buildup in there and will likely balance itself out. I have a slight film of slime in my final chamber, but never looked twice at it. Just sit back and watch the epic collection grow :)