PDA

View Full Version : I just got Stung please HELP

three dawgs
07-31-2004, 04:14 AM
I was working in the tank tonight about 3 hours ago and was stung in the finger by the blue tang(Doty off Nemo) It hurts like a BAS$#%#^ard. Any thing to worry about. Finger is numb and swollen. Anything to worry about? Please someone

Aquattro
07-31-2004, 04:24 AM
Numb and swollen is always bad. It's possible that it's developing an infection, but you should at the very least go to the walk in clinic in the morning.

psuedo
07-31-2004, 04:27 AM
I was not aware that tangs had the ability to sting :confused:
Most of my fish now come to my hand when I feed

Samw
07-31-2004, 04:33 AM
Most of my fish now come to my hand when I feed

Dory has a sharp spine on each side of her tail which can be used to inflict pain.

Cap'n
07-31-2004, 05:58 AM

They can't "sting". Surgeonfish have a sharp, bony protrusion used as a weapon of self defense. There are no toxins or venom present. The victim would have been cut.

Bees and wasps, however, do sting. They have a sharp lancet designed to pierce the skin and a supply of venom which is pumped into the victim, also used in self defense. They do not bite. (pet peeve, sorry for off-topic)

three dawgs
07-31-2004, 07:59 AM
They also have a spinny back which carries toxins. They will use this.
As for a wasp bite I know how they work.
This is what happened. Caught my yellow tang blue tank and the stripped tang to hold in another tank. ALl in the same bucket. Cell phone felll out of pocket into the bucket of water. First reaction was to grab it. As I flung my hand in the bucket and grabbed the phone. I got a severe prick on the finger which bled for a sec. finger numb instantly then hand and started up arm. Just the finger and part of the hand are still swollen. Just got back from emerg, theyre not sure so I have a prescription for an anti biotic, which I will get tomorrow. Thank you all for the replies.

Azilla
07-31-2004, 08:15 AM
:cry: DAMN!!! I didn't know those fish could hurt your they look so nice........ Hope your ok dude :eek:

Doug
07-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Any protrusion while working in your tank, can possibly cause infection from the object that does the job, regardless if its a fish spine, sharp rock or urchin spine like the one that got me.

Just goes with the territory. As Brad said, best have it checked if it looks infected.

psuedo
07-31-2004, 02:35 PM
what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. :biggrin:
I now use gloves for everything in my tanks for that reason and a few more

three dawgs
07-31-2004, 04:20 PM
i know it wasnt any rocks or such because the fish were the only thing in the bucket. Swelling is down today. Hey didnt this happen to spiderman. Goto go swimmimng time LOL