PDA

View Full Version : why so much mag

Proteus
03-15-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm wondering why my tank.is.using so much mag. I use rb salt which is low already. But am dosing 12 ml a day now up to 14(slowly raising) I'm loosing about 280 ppm over a week while dosing (tm balling)

Alk 7.7 salifert
Cal 420/450 elos

Ihave.been experiencing som stn on acros but am chaulking it up to new zeo regiment and low mag

reefwars
03-15-2014, 08:41 PM
call me reckless but i raise my mg way more than that at one time lol

if you cant get in range youll have a hard time raising it slowly ive found :)

im in the same boat mg around 900 and been raising it , i find when it gets so low its hard to raise it up , once it gets to the green zone i find it easier to keep stable and only does once in a while.

gqlmao
03-15-2014, 08:49 PM
I had a similar issue where my mag was dropping insanely fast. I was dumping in 20 mls into a 40 gallon system daily. I later found out that the salt batch I was using only had a mag level of 1200ppm and leading to the drop in mag every time I changed water. My bottom floor is covered in coraline after correcting the new salt water, I use around 8mls a day, cal and alk consumption is roughly around 40-50ml a day once I have factored in kalk as well.

Lampshade
03-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Also double check your tests. Don't risk hundreds/thousands of dollars of coral to a $40 test. Been there, nuked my tank based on bad test kit. But yes, like most have said, some slat is pretty low, and you need to add. Make sure you roll salt buckets, they can separate after time and shifting.

Proteus
03-16-2014, 01:13 AM
Thanks guys.

The test kit isn't old but ill buy a new one Any way.
I am.confident that the test kit is accurate

My salt comes in a box so.hard to.roll but I do.transfer it into a pail. I've used Reefers best for a couple years now and it's constantly low in mg

The only reason I was trying to raise it slow was to avoid the backlash of peeps saying told you so if I raised to fast but I think I'll get it set asap and keep it there

reefwars
03-16-2014, 01:15 AM
I know people bringing up there magnesium to astronomical levels instantly just to battle bryopsis without ill effects and they keep it there for a lengthy period of time so I think you would be ok

reefwars
03-16-2014, 01:16 AM
By astronomical I mean like 1800 parts per million

Proteus
03-16-2014, 01:17 AM
Thanks Denny. Ima doin it tonight

michika
03-16-2014, 02:57 AM
Have clams? Seeing your coraline growth take off?

Clams, at least in my experience, suck back the Mg like there is no tomorrow just prior to a growth spurt becoming visible. Magnesium facilitates the uptake of calcium in coraline and SPS as well. Optimal magnesium levels should be balanced with your Ca and dKH for quick growth. This is just my experience with magnesium.

Proteus
03-16-2014, 03:05 AM
No clams and funny enough I've never had good coraline in this tank

The Grizz
03-16-2014, 03:59 AM
From what I have read and seen in my tank and a few others your alk should be raised to around 9. Alk at 9 and Cal at 440 seems to help keep mag at closer to 1400.