PDA

View Full Version : questions for the zoa experts

lastlight
03-15-2014, 06:16 AM
for the record my zoas are all doing really well with a couple exceptions.

1. first up are my candy apple redds. these have exploded in growth and have always been in the same spot. gradually their red has darkened to the point where they are mostly just green palys now. when my tank was having sps issues i reduced my light output from 80% down to 60% and have been very slowly bringing it back up. I'm at 70% currently. Could lighting intensity be to blame?

2. my god of wars have also grown very well and continue to do so. but about 8 polyps of the total 30 or so have gone umbrella shaped. they curl downwards. any ideas? these polyps as well as the normal looking ones all have great colour.

thanks!

Coral Hoarder
03-15-2014, 06:45 AM
To much light most likely causing them to morph

Slyguy00
03-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Id agree with scott. It sounds like to much light to me. Mine curl downwards occasionally but it never seems to be an issue.

lastlight
03-15-2014, 05:11 PM
too much light in both cases?

and your colonies that show the curling don't melt on you?

Wheelman76
03-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I've had a few zoas out of a colony do the umbrella thing , but they were on the sandbed in a 24" tank with T5 lighting , they always went back to their regular shape and never showed any negative effects from it.

lastlight
03-15-2014, 05:48 PM
The god of wars are also essentially on the sandbed in a 24" tank. light is a mitras. the redds are about 8" off the bottom.

i have increased the white spectrum not sure that's worth noting.

Coral Hoarder
03-15-2014, 05:52 PM
No I'd say just the car ZOA's and palys moph when placed some where they don't like the most common thing that makes them morph is light I think that's what's happening to your candy apple reds

Also my ZOA's will do the in blella thing when the salinity is to high but normally not just a select few do

reefwars
03-15-2014, 06:06 PM
unbrella syndrone is linked to nitrates not lighting:)

its most common in PE's but all zoas an do it:)

theres a very good thread on RC about it and how nitrates effect it:)

for what its worth there are very few zoas that need low light like very few , in fact most can acclimated and do best in high light.

hth

denny

lastlight
03-15-2014, 07:28 PM
thanks guys. i'll give my nitrates a measure before my water change and see if that's high.

lastlight
03-15-2014, 10:02 PM
just to shed a little more light on the matter:

nitrates are near undetectable and my phosphates are apparently around 0.01.

ca - 420
alk 8
mag 1400

doesn't leave a ton to fix assuming my kits can be trusted lol.