PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will Live Rock Keep?

04V10
03-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Hey guys,

Probabaly a dumb question, but I was planning on picking up some live rock tomorrow for a brand new tank that I have at my office. The problem is that I won't be able to get the rock into my tank until Tuesday. The reason why I was going to get it tomorrow is it's the only day I can get it.

Now, there's nothing in the tank except ready water that is up to temperature, just awaiting LR, so an ammonia spike due to die off isn't a big deal to me at all. Also, there isn't any corals or anything on the rock.

What are your thoughts?

WarDog
03-15-2014, 01:14 AM
I'm no expert but I'm sure 3 days is no big deal. Obviously you may have a larger ammonia spike and might take longer to cycle. Try to keep it moist at the very least, I would avoid letting it dry out. In a perfect world you would keep it in a container of SW with flow and heater. Good luck!

mark
03-15-2014, 02:18 AM
thought they shipped the around the world wrapped in newspaper, placed in a plastic bag then boxed

gregzz4
03-15-2014, 02:47 AM
Just keep it in sealed containers to retain moisture, and in a warmish area so it doesn't get cold (or hot)
If it were me, and it was sitting for days, I'd open the containers daily to exchange fresh air but I'm a bit anal (aren't most reefers?)

RDNanoGuy
03-15-2014, 04:31 AM
It will be fine. Live rock can lie dormant for months and still be good. The initial tank cycle will just take a little longer.

Myka
03-15-2014, 04:35 AM
I would suggest waiting until you have a day when you can buy the rock and get it into your tank in the same day. I also strongly suggest buying rock from a fresh shipment that had been at your LFS for less than 2 days.