PDA

View Full Version : Something is wrong...

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:27 PM
This morning when I looked at our tank, I seen little bits of death all over..
Parts of torches - dead! Parts of frog spawns - dead! Duncan coral - dying! Colt coral - dying!!!

All of our levels are exactly where we want them to be.

Salinity -1.024
Nitrates - Less than 10ppm
Temp - 77.9-78.1
PH - 8.25
Ca - 420PPM
Mg - 1350PPM

.. & the list goes on, all near perfect.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishingGoalie
03-14-2014, 04:30 PM
This morning when I looked at our tank, I seen little bits of death all over..
Parts of torches - dead! Parts of frog spawns - dead! Duncan coral - dying! Colt coral - dying!!!

All of our levels are exactly where we want them to be.

Salinity -1.024
Nitrates - Less than 10ppm
Temp - 77.9-78.1
PH - 8.25
Ca - 420PPM
Mg - 1350PPM

.. & the list goes on, all near perfect.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

What are you phosphates and alkalinity. High phosphates killed my euphylias.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Hard coral is dying too.

Aquattro
03-14-2014, 04:39 PM
check alk

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:43 PM
But Phosphates - 0.04PPM

Aquattro
03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
But Phosphates - 0.04PPM

That's fine, what is alk?

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Alk is between 8-11 DKH

Aquattro
03-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Alk is between 8-11 DKH

I'm not familiar with a test kit that measures between 8 and 11. Is it 8, or is it 11? Not from the last time you checked, but from right now.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Right now it is 10dkh

Aquattro
03-14-2014, 04:52 PM
That's a fine value as well, assuming it wasn't 4 yesterday :) What has changed since yesterday?

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Sometimes it's 11. But mostly 10. There has been one time it was at 8 in the beginning stages.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Absolutely nothing.. The only thing we've done in the last week is swap out for a bigger skimmer.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:55 PM
We have a phosphate & carbon reactor & we dose..

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:56 PM
It's almost as if there is something in our tank, that is going undetected.. Which for me is hard to believe, because we test EVERYTHING every day or 2

FishyFishy!
03-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Check for smelly water coming out of your RO/DI (assuming you use one). Kien recently had this issue.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:58 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/ajymejej.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/3a2uzupa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/u5ajyha8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/aga7e2yz.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/9a6are7u.jpg

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 04:59 PM
We don't use RO/DI. We are from Calgary, & according to everyone we've talked to, our water conditions are next to perfect for a reef tank. We've never had an issue until now.

matt_C
03-14-2014, 05:00 PM
i would change your carbon out. as it could be chemical warfare.
also could be http://aquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com/brown-jelly-syndrome-bjs.html
just a few suggestions.

Slyguy00
03-14-2014, 05:03 PM
We don't use RO/DI. We are from Calgary, & according to everyone we've talked to, our water conditions are next to perfect for a reef tank. We've never had an issue until now.

Id think twice about that. If you arnt using RODI that could very well be your problem. Perhaps the water has been ok for the most part and maybe just recently ppms spiked? Would be a good idea to test the ppm of your water.

mrhasan
03-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Did you do any water change with tap water recently? Lethbridge is undergoing warning on tap water and I also started noticing strong smell of chlorine for the last 2 days at my place (in Calgary).

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Yes, we did a small water change yesterday. & we do a 35 gallon water change every 3 days or so.. Which is minute considering were 425 gallons.

Slyguy00
03-14-2014, 05:10 PM
What is your TDS coming out of your tap?

mrhasan
03-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Yes, we did a small water change yesterday. & we do a 35 gallon water change every 3 days or so.. Which is minute considering were 425 gallons.

That may very well be the issue. The chlorine is so high in concentration right now that the water was smelling even after 20mins of recommended boiling period.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 05:12 PM
i would change your carbon out. as it could be chemical warfare.

also could be http://aquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com/brown-jelly-syndrome-bjs.html

just a few suggestions.

We changed the carbon in the reactor on March 1st... & the one elegance we had.. Did have brown jelly coming off of it like a month ago, but we removed it from the tank right away.

denny_C
03-14-2014, 05:13 PM
looks like brownjelly to me , if thats the case you could lose some of your lps , the torches,hammers and frogs are the first to go , then brains lobos etc.

it spreads easily and could have came in on any coral that ypou bought recently.

as for the sps dying and softies closed i would think reaction to the dye off and loose jelly floating , as matt mewntioned i would run carbon very aggressively , also i would syphoin and remove any dying flesh on the lps .

lots of flow right now for a bit will help as will a fresh batch of water.

brown jelly is usually caused by a bacterial infection depending on the coral and type ive had great success with furan 2

if rtn starts to kick in for your sps then its safe to say some solid actions need to be taken or you could lose it all fast

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
What is your TDS coming out of your tap?

Around 200.

Slyguy00
03-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Holy!! Your putting that in your tank???? It shouldnt be more than 1-2 tops. Id say thats your problem. But thats just me

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 05:17 PM
looks like brownjelly to me , if thats the case you could lose some of your lps , the torches,hammers and frogs are the first to go , then brains lobos etc.

it spreads easily and could have came in on any coral that ypou bought recently.

as for the sps dying and softies closed i would think reaction to the dye off and loose jelly floating , as matt mewntioned i would run carbon very aggressively , also i would syphoin and remove any dying flesh on the lps .

lots of flow right now for a bit will help as will a fresh batch of water.

brown jelly is usually caused by a bacterial infection depending on the coral and type ive had great success with furan 2

if rtn starts to kick in for your sps then its safe to say some solid actions need to be taken or you could lose it all fast

What exactly is RTN & what do you mean run carbon aggressively??

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Holy!! Your putting that in your tank???? It shouldnt be more than 1-2 tops. Id say thats your problem. But thats just me

That's not me testing.. That's on the city of Calgary water parameters site..

Slyguy00
03-14-2014, 05:18 PM
I would think that the 200ppm is causing all the issues and probably creating the brown goo. Since you said you dont use rodi im assuming you add tap water to your tank? Anything above 0 is to much for my tank personally

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 05:20 PM
I would think that the 200ppm is causing all the issues and probably creating the brown goo. Since you said you dont use rodi im assuming you add tap water to your tank? Anything above 0 is to much for my tank personally

That's 200 mg/L ...

Slyguy00
03-14-2014, 05:21 PM
O. Well i dont know what that measurement means. Regardless id say using calgarys tap water is your issue

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 05:28 PM
It's basically the same as PPM I guess. I'm thinking a combination of running carbon hard & switching to RO/DI is what needs to be done here .

Misses.ReefWars
03-14-2014, 05:29 PM
It's basically the same as PPM I guess. I'm thinking a combination of running carbon hard & switching to RO/DI is what needs to be done here .

+1 ;)

FishyFishy!
03-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Yeah try that for sure. Just watch for brown jelly buildup on your LPS and monitor closely.

But running RO/DI won't hurt. However sticking to tapwater is playing with fire. We have a high chlorine content in our water. Removing some of it with RO/DI is just eliminating one more thing to worry about.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Should I remove this SPS? & should I be cutting the dead, brown jelly stuff off the frogs & torches??

denny_C
03-14-2014, 06:08 PM
even though we chatted on the phone ill post it here so others can see what needs to be done:)

first youll need to remove any visable jelly, either via syphon which is what i recommend or by removing the coral and snipping off whats dead and rinsing whats left or simply toss it out.

two fresh batches of carbon back to back(aggressive)

i would remove and furan2 dip anything else you think may be infected or showing signs of flesh sloughing off (sps) to kill off the bacteria.

keep up with your water changes and monitor for amonia this will be healthy for your system anyways.

keep up with the flow and avoid new lps for a couple of weeks while the system settles.

not gonna lie you may lose a few pieces but the rest can be saved.

like i mentioned when buying new corals fresh off the boat we dont exactly know theyr'e previous history so always dip as a preventative precaution and buy livestock carefully.

if its not brown jelly and in fact something else this wont hurt your system and will help remedy it while you find the root cause.

hth and like i said if there's anything concept can do to help don't hesitate to ask buddy:)

good luck

denny

denny_C
03-14-2014, 06:09 PM
when moving the corals around use a syphon and kill the flow , releasing the jelly to your high flow system is not a good idea so be carefull when pulling them out:)

FishyFishy!
03-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Just saw your add up on kijiji for the sale of the tank. Sorry to hear that, But I know you have a bigger, better one coming in the future.

What are the dimensions of the current tank?

FishingGoalie
03-14-2014, 06:28 PM
If yuou havent been using RODI then i would suggest you do. The snow melting with all the chemicals in it may be affecting calgarys water.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I got all the jelly removed.. Corals dipped, etc. But yes, it's being sold.. I have no control over it...

It's 7 feet long, 20 inches deep & 2 feet wide.

ronau
03-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Just saw your add up on kijiji for the sale of the tank. Sorry to hear that, But I know you have a bigger, better one coming in the future.

What are the dimensions of the current tank?

I believe it is this system:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100572&highlight=foot

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 07:34 PM
That sure is the system.

Slyguy00
03-14-2014, 07:35 PM
That is a sweet tank!

tlhood
03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
I live in Calgary too, and use an RODI. Without it the PPM in the tap water is (at least from my tap) 274 ppm. And as people have said the snow melt probably isn't helping matters. Maybe think of investing in an RODI unit for your next tank? I got a nice little one from aquasafecanada.com and it is great. Its a smaller one, under 200$ (easily pays for itself) and you don't have to tap into the cold water line in the basement if you don't want to.

AchillesTangBeauty
03-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Okay, so I'm being told I have BJS, Cyanobacteria, Red Slime Algae & I should be using Chemi-Clean to treat my system.. Anyone ever used this? Should I give it a whirl?

Slyguy00
03-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Another great side effect of tap water. Chemiclean works good if used properly. But is only a temporary solution.

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-14-2014, 10:30 PM
I would try to clear all the brown jelly problem before I would add anything else for the cyano.
Keep fresh carbon running 24/7 and I would add HC-GFO as not it only remove phosphates it actually removes other things added by your tap water.
Keep water flow heavy.
If not done yet I would kill the flow in the system remove the entire colonies with blown slime Break off any heads killed or looks like its infected and the healthy one I would give them an iodine dip then place back in the system.
Keep watching your tank closely for the 1st few days as I am sure you will unfortunately have more LPS dying and keep on the same cleaning as mentioned above.
SPS picture looks like its been slowly dying from the bottom up and believe the brown slime in water column doesn't help.
Like earlier mentioned most likely for the SPS and softies with LPS systems will eventually have chemical warfare unless kept GFO and carbon updated.

Erythromycin medication is always been used under other brand name for removing cyano,although again its a quick fix until you start using RODI water instead of tap water.

I live north end of Calgary and my TDS reading after 4 different micron filters is at 140ppm and goes down to 0ppm going into the tank.
Hope with little loss.
Cheers

reefwars
03-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Okay, so I'm being told I have BJS, Cyanobacteria, Red Slime Algae & I should be using Chemi-Clean to treat my system.. Anyone ever used this? Should I give it a whirl?

cyano is red slime algae but doesn't cause shedding of flesh in lps ;)

you could still have cyano but i doubt it would wipe out corals ive seen tanks infested with it and still pull through just fine:)

chemiclean is a great product and if you have cyano then a treatment is good , but where you are having issues i personally would resolve those first then battle the cyano:)

good luck buddy

if worse comes to worse call matt and ask him to do a drop over and check the system out in person hes good like that and hell do it for you guys:)

reefwars
03-14-2014, 10:37 PM
I would try to clear all the brown jelly problem before I would add anything else for the cyano.
Cheers

that's solid advice right there:)

AchillesTangBeauty
03-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Haha cool. Thanks again!
Like I said, I got all 50 pieces of coral that don't like flow, into the quarantine tank.. The rest are in the display being hammered with flow cleaning all the sh** out! Went hard on the carbon for a couple days, cut the death off of the frogs & torches.. Everything is doing well.
Picked up an RO/DI & did a 30% water change..

Thanks so much Denny & Matt & all the rest of you guys & your advice (:!!!