PDA

View Full Version : Thin White Filaments

tlhood
03-12-2014, 08:22 PM
So I noticed yesterday that on the underside of my Leptoseris there were these weird white filaments blowing around, maybe 6 or 7 of them. They looked like they were attached to the coral. Today, I couldn't see any. However now on my baby fungia-type coral, I noticed there are two of the weird long filaments coming from the underside and blowing around, and there are some smaller ones looped on the top side. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Nothing has changed in my tank, my last water change was on Sunday. I have noticed quite a few amphipods and little worms (I think they are bristle worms) at night, but none on these particular corals, they usually stay on the rocks. I am fighting a nasty algae outbreak, but that's been going on for a while and this hasn't happened before.

I snapped a picture with my phone. You can really see the one that's in the back, the other ones are tougher. I had just turned the lights on so the edges of the coral aren't as open as usual, and I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it fully extends like normal. The corals have been in my tank since the end of January, and have shown some considerable growth.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/tabkatz/photo2.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/tabkatz/media/photo2.jpg.html)

tlhood
03-12-2014, 10:18 PM
They seem to be irritating the coral a bit, as the edges aren't extending like normal, usually they hang over kind of mushroom like, but since I posted last they have stayed pretty close to the centre.

And they are under the Lepto again, so they seem to retract when the lights are off...

pinkreef
03-12-2014, 10:35 PM
i have some like that in my tank attached to rock. mine are a worm
and will retreat if disturbed.

tlhood
03-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Could they be from spaghetti worms? And will dipping the coral get rid of them?

Although some of the filaments are coming from the top of the coral and don't appear to be coming from a worm tube or anything.... I guess I will keep an eye on it. Other than sort of irritating the coral from opening a bit, it doesn't seem to be doing anything to the flesh. If they aren't gone by tomorrow maybe I'll dip it.

Maybe mesenterial filaments, sweeping the area for clean growth space?