PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Sump?

banditpowdercoat
03-12-2014, 04:07 PM
OK, How am I gona clean my Sump? Getting a lot of detritus built up on my DSB section. But, Its too low to siphon. I think a MJ pump or anything will just suck up the sand and get clogged. How do you people do it?

Spyd
03-12-2014, 05:22 PM
First off, be very careful not to disturb your DSB too much. It can potentially releases toxic gases that build up over time.

I would just turn off your return pump and skim the top layer of sand with a fine fish net.

If you want to give your entire sump a good cleaning, drain it all, minus the DSB, remove all equipment and wipe it down. I find a Chamois works well for getting that last 1/4" of water out and wiping down the compartments. Add freshly mixed saltwater back in the sump and you are good to go. Very timely process though.

Trevor W
03-12-2014, 06:35 PM
I always used a small pump to pump out water for my regular water changes, when I deep cleaned the sump I would just use a wet/dry shop vac which works wonders in a sump.

mseepman
03-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Look for a python siphon...it doesn't use gravity but hooks to tap to create a vacuum and will give you control of what you clean

banditpowdercoat
03-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Those things don't put tap water into tank? I seen them but thought they were for FW tanks only?

banditpowdercoat
03-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Oh, and I can't hook up anything to kitchen tap. My faucet has no attachment for those kinda things, and Bathroom way to far away. So guess thats out

Coralgurl
03-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Oh, and I can't hook up anything to kitchen tap. My faucet has no attachment for those kinda things, and Bathroom way to far away. So guess thats out

I used to try that but found it would clog at the sink connection anyway.....

Do you run filter socks in your sump? I find when I go sockless, the sump gets pretty gross, with socks allows the wayward clean up crew to catch up. I have more snails and bristleworms in my sump than the DT.