PDA

View Full Version : LED light question...

incept
03-11-2014, 06:16 PM
So I am relatively new into this hobby. Learning more everyday! I have a 90 gallon mixed reef that has been running for about 8 months now. I had picked up a used tank and light system which is a metal halide canopy with two 250 watt blue colored bulbs. The bulbs have an unknown amount of time on them above the 8 months I have used them. I was looking at picking up a LED system to replace the halides. My wife came home last night with a new lighting system she found which is made by Fluval. A quick search on the internet really has not turned up much info other than speculation. Just looking for any info on if this light will be suitable for my tank of if it should go back and keep saving for a higher end light... The specs are as follows

Fluval Sea Marine & Reef M48 LED
# of LEDS - 692
Wattage - 46
Lumens - 2340
25000 K

Any thoughts? Thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Have not used Fluval LEDs but these seem to be very low powered. Very low power individual emitters and low total wattage at only 46 w.

Adrenaline101
03-11-2014, 06:29 PM
I believe they are way under 1w per led. I use one of the Nanos on my sump and was on a small shallow cube but I don't think you will get the depth you need for a 90.
I was looking at these before and I as well could not come up with any solid answers.

Rkaustinen
03-11-2014, 06:58 PM
I would check online for some ever grows they will have a lot more light for the same $. Check out reefsupplycanada.com and save yourself some shipping!

incept
03-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Think I'm going to take em back. They just don't seem to have the same kinda intensity or punch as the halides. Moon lights are cool though.. Think I may just get new bulbs and buy a actinic for the current canopy until I get something different. Been looking at the Reef Radiance Lumentek 240.

MinPhase
03-17-2014, 12:22 AM
The fluvial and marineland LEDs are way underpowered.
You want to try and get 3w LEDs if you can afford them.
Check out the Ecotech Radion or AI (Aquaillumination) which are very good albeit very expensive.

nrosdal
03-17-2014, 12:41 AM
If making a switch, i would try to match something up similar to what you have in halides. What you did with the fluvals is put up the equivalent of 2 x 100watt halides and expected them to look the same as the previous 2 x 250s. Look for something in the range of 200watts of total led power (or more as i have found that 2 x 120watt leds give very similar growth to 2 x 250 watt halides).

Just my opinion on it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-17-2014, 12:46 AM
I use 10 watt emitters and over my 6' 165g mixed reef, I have 280w total. Over my 93g 30" mixed reef cube and my 60g 2' cube mixed reef, I have DIY pendants with 6 x 10w (3b;3w) and 1 blue 1w moonlight. These grow everything I place in my tanks from softies, to lps, to sps & clams. I would personally never use a Fluval or Marineland LED as my main light source.

incept
03-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Good info guys, thanks, keep it coming. I have found that there is sooooo much to learn in the marine tank hobby. Kinda overwhelming at first but it is good. I have to admit, lightning is not my strong points yet. Getting there slowly though. Anyone have the Reef Radiance lights? Great price and they seem to have really good followings and reviews. They are a 3w per LED light and have some cool options..