PDA

View Full Version : How do you Secure SPS Frags on Rocks?

straightrazorguy
03-10-2014, 08:36 PM
I've tried the BRS glue, I've tried Tunze's putty, I've tried wedging them, etc. Eventually a crab knocks it over, and the current blows it down.

Like the title says, I am curious how you attach new SPS frags on your rockwork. Maybe I should start a poll...

Ryanerickson
03-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Crazy glue

SteveCGY
03-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Ecotech glue with Powerheads off. Leave for 30min then power back on. No problems with them knocking over from waves or crabs. I actually see crabs climbing around on mine from time to time.

straightrazorguy
03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Crazy glue

Under water? I cannot take my rocks out of the water...

Reef Pilot
03-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Have always used Aquascape Milliput Epoxy (from J&L). Just heat in the microwave for 5 sec and mix. Be sure it the epoxy is well mixed and kneaded. Then apply to your frag plug and stick on a rock. Or put the stem of the frag in a hole in the rock, and paste in a small piece of epoxy around it. Pretty easy, actually.

And yes, underwater.

Adrenaline101
03-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Ecotech coral glue.
It's basically crazy glue gel and you don't need to take it out of the water, they have a demonstration video on their website. Takes 30 seconds max for me
It looks a lot cleaner than epoxy I find.

Slyguy00
03-10-2014, 08:48 PM
ecotech glue

SteveCGY
03-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Ecotech coral glue.
It's basically crazy glue gel and you don't need to take it out of the water, they have a demonstration video on their website. Takes 30 seconds max for me
It looks a lot cleaner than epoxy I find.

And doesn't make your skimmer go nuts

Aquattro
03-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Always putty.

Rkaustinen
03-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I just buy the thick gel super glue from the dollar store, sets up under water in 10 min. I've been gluing pcs of tubing to my rocks and gluing my frags to a plug that fits in the tubing. Works awesome! I can move my plugs anywhere, anytime I want and remove the whole colony to frag if necessary! Just make sure it's the thick gel!

Ryanerickson
03-10-2014, 09:27 PM
When I said crazy glue I meant the Eco tech brand I don't shut pumps down or anything works great way better then epoxy it does work also but more work for same results plus with crazy glue you can usually hide that you used any glue at all

mseepman
03-10-2014, 09:33 PM
BRS extra thick glue. Shut down powerheads for 5 minutes and it usually holds long enough for things to encrust. I also use pegging method (search YouTube) and it works great.

Steve_French
03-10-2014, 09:40 PM
I just buy the thick gel super glue from the dollar store, sets up under water in 10 min. I've been gluing pcs of tubing to my rocks and gluing my frags to a plug that fits in the tubing. Works awesome! I can move my plugs anywhere, anytime I want and remove the whole colony to frag if necessary! Just make sure it's the thick gel!

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of this would you? Empty tube and fragged tube?

Reef Pilot
03-10-2014, 10:06 PM
I have achieved a similar effect and ability to move frags with just epoxy. And BTW, the epoxy is purple, so blends right in with the rock.

What I do with my epoxy putty, is before it is totally hard in the water, I slightly loosen and rotate the plug in the epoxy. Then after it is fully hardened, the plug with the frag can easily be removed and placed elsewhere. And the round hole is left, so that another frag can be put in its place without any more putty. I don't think you would be able to do this with gel glue, as it sets up too quickly. You can even create a bunch of blank holes this way with an empty frag plug, for future frag placings.

And with a larger frag, you can just stick the base stem into an old putty hole, without the frag plug. In many cases, no more putty is needed, as the frag usually jams in there pretty tight, and will quickly encrust to the putty.

Of course there is a time limit, as once the frags encrusts over the epoxy, it is there permanently. But it does work well for initial placements that you may want to move later.

straightrazorguy
03-10-2014, 10:12 PM
I have achieved a similar effect and ability to move frags with just epoxy. And BTW, the epoxy is purple, so blends right in with the rock.

Great tips Pilot! What brand of epoxy do you use and where do you buy it?

Reef Pilot
03-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Great tips Pilot! What brand of epoxy do you use and where do you buy it?
Aquascape Milliput Epoxy (from J&L).

Spyd
03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I would never bother with Ecotech glue... It costs a fortune. The Dollar store crazy glue works just the same. Get the thick gel stuff and use that. $1 / tube as oppose to $20 for a bottle... Just my 2 cents.

As for mounting SPS, I like to use a sandwich method. Crazy glue, epoxy, crazy glue on the bottom of your SPS piece then push it firmly into place. Keep the powerheads off for 5 minutes and it's set and will not move.

For epoxy, I use Aquamend because it is relatively inexpensive, safe and works very well.