PDA

View Full Version : Pygmy Angels

Treebeard
03-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Someone please talk me out of buying one. I had keyhole angel but ended up getting rid of it because it was nipping the mantle of one of my clams. I realize they vary fish to fish, but just wondering what experiences others have with angels that have behaved themselves?

gqlmao
03-10-2014, 06:59 PM
I probably can't talk you out of one but from my experience keeping numerous dwarf pygmy angels is that they are very curious fish and are the type to peck at things regardless. They may not be eating nor actually damaging the piece, usually they like the slime on the corals. I had 3 different flame angels, 2 were good model citizens, 1 was curious and liked to peck at my SPS. Some people sacrifice polyp extension during the day to keep angels and I am one of them. I found that most of the time they are safe with SPS and clams but you get the odd time they go and peck it once our twice, some people freak out and get the fish out but usually it stops. Feeding the fish well multiple times a day will reduce the angel's tendency to scavenge for food.

Clams are a little riskier, same with LPS but out of all my angels, flame, flame, flame, multicolor, flame back, bi color, only one of them disturbed my corals frequently.

mark
03-10-2014, 07:18 PM
no problems with my Coral Beauty even when I had clams, sorry.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-10-2014, 07:40 PM
The only dwarf angels I would completely trust are dwarf dwarf Cherubs. Never had an issue with any I've kept over the last decade or so.

Beautiful iridescent blue with a bright yellow face.