PDA

View Full Version : Fragging palys, and mushrooms?

Reef Pilot
03-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Any tricks or tips on how to best frag palys and mushrooms that are attached to rocks?

I have been using forcep tweezers to grab the paly and try pull it off the rock. They do come off, but hard to do without also moving or dislodging the rock. They really do have a strong grip.

With mushrooms, even harder. They shrivel down, and very difficult to even grab.

Coasting
03-10-2014, 05:20 PM
I guess it helps being a female, but I've always had no issue just using my finger nail to peel them off the rocks. The only time I have issues with the mushrooms is when their foot is in more of a crevice.
I wonder if you could use something like thread or floss and work that under it?

Ryanerickson
03-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Use bone cutters cut the rock below very easy and does not bother zoas-paly at all plus you can glue without getting anything on it.

Slyguy00
03-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Zoas and palys are almost impossible to kill. Even if you accidentally cut half a head off and glued it down it would still be ok. Basically cut it off anyway you can and glue it down. It will be good to go in a few days :mrgreen:

duncangweller
03-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I slide a blade underneath the foot of the polyp and peel them off. Sometimes you can peel off a whole section of them

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reef Pilot
03-10-2014, 06:46 PM
I guess it helps being a female, but I've always had no issue just using my finger nail to peel them off the rocks. The only time I have issues with the mushrooms is when their foot is in more of a crevice.
I wonder if you could use something like thread or floss and work that under it?
Don't you worry about touching the palys? And yes, they do like to take hold in a tiny crevice or hole, which is what makes them difficult to get out completely. I would think a floss would have the same effect as cutting, and leave part of foot to grow back.

And thanks to everyone for the responses. Keep them coming, if there are any more ideas.

Coral Hoarder
03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
i try to cut the rock under them (zoas)
mush rooms you can just cut in half then theres two lol

GoFish
03-11-2014, 03:29 AM
Mushrooms... i turn the wavemakers off, use a razor blade, cut a shroom off leaving a little base to grow back, then take the whole head (or cut it into 2 or more pieces)and let it sit in a container with rubble and verrrry little flow, and be patient, enough flow that the water is circulated but just barely. They will attach to rubble with 2 weeks, IME

Palys... Here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=885435#post885435)