PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish ate Anenome tentacle

Coralgurl
03-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Watching the kids this morning and saw my male clarkii with an anenome tentacle in its mouth, was "barking" and ate it. Anyone else ever see this before?? I've got 3 rbta's, not sure which of the smaller nems it came off of. Weird fish.....

Myka
03-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Yes, sometimes Clownfish will bite anemones to help reduce their sting potency, and in the process may bite a tentacle off. This happens more if the relationship between anemone and Clownfish is new.

Coralgurl
03-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks Myka. Not a new relationship, both have been in the tank for almost 2 years, but I do see my female sucking on her nems tentacles all the time. This makes sense, just didn't expect theyd eat them.

mike31154
03-09-2014, 08:24 PM
My female Maroon clown has done this as well. Quite common to see both her & the male 'mouth' tentacle(s) & let them go again, but I did witness her nip a tip off once. I've also seen her gobble down bits of tentacle that I inadvertently cut off while doing tank maintenance. Not sure if she kept it down, but certainly looked like it by the way she snapped it up.

paddyob
03-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks Myka. Not a new relationship, both have been in the tank for almost 2 years, but I do see my female sucking on her nems tentacles all the time. This makes sense, just didn't expect theyd eat them.

Part of the relationship clowns offer to an anemone is helping keep them clean. Its possible your clown is grooming the nem. And as myka said, may have bitten One off in error.