PDA

View Full Version : New lighting tests. Interesting resutls. as per usual.

DJ88
06-17-2002, 07:48 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/lamp_comp.gif

You can read about the test more here.

Reef Central Thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93807)

[ 17 June 2002, 15:48: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

stephane
06-18-2002, 10:39 AM
tink this confirm what I always claim on the DE bandwagon and get flame by

Even If look manufacturer spec the lummen of single ended are alway as good as DE of the same watt.

a 150 watt is a 150 watt and a 250 watt is a 250 watt no comparison possible IMO

I wait to see the AB test now

Tank Darren to get this tread here I was waiting
for it.

[ 18 June 2002, 07:16: Message edited by: stephane ]

StirCrazy
06-18-2002, 07:20 PM
haha, your funny Steph :D the DE's that were tested are "Blue bulbs" if you read it again.. so that is comparing something like a 20K DE against a 10K SE.. but it was a nice try smile.gif

Steve

[ 18 June 2002, 18:50: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

stephane
06-19-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by PerryinCA
Sorry about the confusion....

That was a data input error. My Bad. The 150w lamp from Ushio id the "Aqua" Model, also known as the 10k.

The rest of the data will probably not be posted until tomorrow morning. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?postid=634674

Sorry steve but Perry made an herror at first
Hushio dont made blue bulb it is tag on BLV colorlite :D

The ushio is a DE 10k Sorry to disapoint you :D
anyway I tink we have to wait for AB but suspect the same result ;)

[ 18 June 2002, 20:10: Message edited by: stephane ]

DJ88
06-19-2002, 12:17 AM
You beat me to it Stephane!!!

;)

hee hee

StirCrazy
06-19-2002, 01:18 AM
hehe, ok.. never heard of the "aqua" model but I will beleive ya :D

anyways I think you will be surprised by the AB if they ever test it, not promissing anything but just a hunch I have... hopefully they test it soon I am getting curious.

I hate it when people test at 3", it makes the numbers seam so high LOL ( what formulae would I use to convert the 3" results to 18" results)

this test does show some interesting things though.. acording to this the DE 1000K Ushio 150 watt puts out a very small amount of UV a/b compared to the Ushio mogual 175 watt and 250 watt bulbs which would sugest that it is perfectly fine to run SOME DE bulbs with out glass.. hmmm that means if you could make the reflector right you could have a very compact MH bulb in your hood.

Steve

DJ88
06-19-2002, 01:59 AM
what formulae would I use to convert the 3" results to 18" results <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Drum roll please.

From Sanjay's site about MH testing that YOU posted in another thread. :D

Do you ever read any threads Steve? ;) hee hee. Kidding. :D

The Inverse Square Law-
Being a point source of light, as you get closer to a MH bulb the intensity increases at a rate of the square of the distance. In the tests performed to get the above numbers the distance from the sensor to the bulb was 18 inches. As bulbs are placed closer to the water surface the PAR numbers will increase dramatically. If the bulbs are placed at 9 inches above the water multiply the above number by 4 (eg Iwasaki 400w 173 x 4= 692). Move them to 6 inches and you can multiply by 9 (eg Iwasaki 400w 173 x 9=1557). This particular bulb is approaching natural surface values without even using a reflector.

StirCrazy
06-19-2002, 02:01 AM
on another note there is a suspision arizing that the results of this test could be bogus. Steph let me make this clear befor you start arguing with me I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY ARE...

I am only saying that there are some very valid points that have been brought up about the effect of heat on the PAR sensors. as it has been stated in the original post I think a retesting at a distance of 18" would be the best thing Dana could do, but we can only hope this happens.

Steve

DJ88
06-19-2002, 02:08 AM
Steve,

Just apply the math with the inverse square law.

Light decays as you go away from the source by a factor of the distance you moved. In Air that is.

Take the 3" measurement as a starting point then use Sanjay's definition to find it for 18".

Easy as that. Just a bit o math is all.

StirCrazy
06-19-2002, 02:20 AM
26.4 ... this is the number to convet 3.5" to 18" damn and I was trying to ba lazy tonight also.. :D :D oh well wasn't that hard.

Steve

stephane
06-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
on another note there is a suspision arizing that the results of this test could be bogus. Steph let me make this clear befor you start arguing with me I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY ARE...

I am only saying that there are some very valid points that have been brought up about the effect of heat on the PAR sensors. as it has been stated in the original post I think a retesting at a distance of 18" would be the best thing Dana could do, but we can only hope this happens.

Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I will not argue whit you again Steve I tink it get us nowere

For my self even before that test I was convience about the respond and I know people alway try to
disculp or get suspisius other by someway to get them right (I dont talk about you here)

There more evidence that all that DE mania is fake and even then people want to belive it.

The only evidence that give the DE is a test who Sanjay have run but even himself tell that this test is confusing + R&B If you call it evidence :(

I tink I beter believe in Santa Closs than this
Maybe Im rong but until more proof are show all this DE ting is simply fake!!!!!!!and useless to anyone.

It shure more attractive to belive a 150 will do a 400 job but I need a lot more proof to andorst it and putt 1500$ on a giesman fixture yes they are nice VERY NICE but as to get them superior than other I need proof I see the giesman 250 setup over a tank yesterday in front of a iwasaki one at le corail they even have a very nice color even by them self better than the iwasaki (for coloration) no doubt but it is my only conclusion for now even if coloration for me now is the most important ting I will not get in it now at this price no way But I tink for people who are not DIY a bit and have the $ this is a nice set up in 250 watt but in 150 I dont tink so

Even manufacturer dont endors those claim so I tink it is for now only a legend. A manufacturer of bulb who will find a miracle like this will be
a lot more present in testing and showing spectacular result but IMO they stay silent because all this polimic is good for there sale :D

reefburnaby
06-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Hi,

Hmm...the spectral results are up and I guess the SE lamps have quite a bit of energy in the greeen/yellow bands. So, the useful reefPAR is actually not dramatically different from the 150W DE bulbs and the other SE bulbs. Anyway...looks cool.

FYI...I don't think a MH is a point source at 3.5". This is because the MH ARC is about 1 to 3". So, your point source extrapolated numbers while be pestimestic (i.e. lower than actual). For a more accurate calculation, you would need some calculus and an integral.

- Victor.

DJ88
06-19-2002, 07:05 PM
Victor,

The inverse law I suggested is just for an approximation. I seriously doubt that anyone here is going to sit and do the calculus involved. I can help out anyone wanting to if they so decide to. :rolleyes:

If we were to get into specifics the only way a MH could be concidered a point source is if it were either being measured far enough away that the radius of the light source wouldn't measurably change as we moved the sensor. At that distance we'd be wasting our time and energy.

[ 19 June 2002, 15:06: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

reefburnaby
06-19-2002, 11:32 PM
Hi,

Yupe I know that its an approximation. I just wanted people to be aware when they compare numbers (say between these and Sanjay's).

Usually point source approximation isn't a problem (like a measurement 18" away from the bulb)...but 3.5" is going to have significant amount of error.

- Victor.

- Victor.

stephane
09-22-2002, 12:46 AM
Finaly another test to validate that those double ended 150watt are notting more than a 150 watt an a mogul of the same power will put as much light as those double ended

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/review.htm

[ 21 September 2002, 23:30: Message edited by: stephane ]