PDA

View Full Version : My Alge problem.

Azilla
07-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Dunno how long it lasts but it drags on and on. Like last night i cleaned my tank Puffed off the rocks and cleaned the glass. woke up tank was clear and fine come back from work 8hours later and GRREEEN AND BROOWWN! all over I have been running my skimmer full throttle and gettin mass amounts of green crap and have carbon in my sump and algone still Blooms just like that.

Now the question is can it be my live rock??? i have kanai live rock seems to my old tank was fine till i added that rock now i got my new tank with that rock and nothing but alge city.................... :cry:

Beverly
07-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Was the new rock cured? If not, it will have dead and dying stuff on it which is creating extra nutrient which fueling your algae problems.

If the rock is uncured, I would remove it to a separate container with heater and powerhead, and possibly some means of mechanical filtration. Clean filter media often to remove any crud that builds up.

Azilla
07-30-2004, 01:36 AM
Umm I dunno if it was cured. But it should have been by now i have had it for a while i mean i have snails, crabs,fish and coral in my tank just seem to bloom alge non stop been about 2 months now running im just curious if other users of Kanai rock seem to have alge alot i know my fiji didnt.............

Quinn
07-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Well, first of all we need to know what kind of algae we're talking about here. My Kanai rock had a lot of algaes on it but not the typical pests algaes.

Azilla
07-30-2004, 04:53 AM
im talkin creating huge Green alge blooms and brown alge thats all curious if any reefers noticed a differance after usin a diff type of rock.

LostMind
07-30-2004, 05:55 AM
heavy skimming and filtration and reduced light cycle.

That algae can live on almost no nutrients!

I had to turn off the lights in my tank completely for 4 days and upgrade my skimmer to kill off the green hair algae bloom.