PDA

View Full Version : Help!

brotherd
03-08-2014, 12:50 AM
My Naso got caught buy my blue carpet nem right in front of my eyes! I slammed my hand into the tank and pulled the fish off of it but the Naso looks bad. I'm floating the Naso in a large net now. And I think I got stung or stabbed in the process. What are the chances the Naso will survive such an attack? He looks like he's got 2nd or 3rd degree burns over 70 percent of his body.

howdy20012002
03-08-2014, 01:52 AM
I have had the same thing happen with a fox face
Sorry but it did not end well
The fish was gone within a hour

brotherd
03-08-2014, 04:07 AM
The Naso is gone.

FishingGoalie
03-08-2014, 04:16 AM
So sorry :(

jorjef
03-08-2014, 04:31 AM
I have a gold bar maroon that actually caught a weakened chromis and fed it to his bubble tip. I know it's tough to compare a naso to a chromis but in both cases it's just nature doing its thing.

neoh
03-09-2014, 12:50 AM
the inevitable danger of those carpets I'm afraid! Don't take this the wrong way, but did you give the naso back to the carpet?

brotherd
03-09-2014, 01:22 AM
I should have but in the moment I chose not to. I was feeling a bit spiteful...and my hand was a bit tingly from the interference with the nem.

Myka
03-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your Naso. I had a Mini Maxi anemone eat a Naso too. It ended up spitting the fish out, so I fed it to the Bubble Tip instead. Maybe Nasos aren't very anemone-smart??

brotherd
03-09-2014, 03:05 AM
Maybe. I would consider another Naso but I think a larger one. The one I lost was maybe 3.5 inches tip to tail. I'm also thinking it's demise is my fault somehow. From what I've ascertained the nem will consume weak or ill prey. Maybe the Naso was compromised somehow.

sumpfinfishe
03-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Don't take this the wrong way either, and I am sorry to hear about your fish.
In my opinion I think any type of fish killing anemone should be housed in a specific tank only with compatible anemone fish, I mean you wouldn't keep a 12" trigger with a tank full of of sps and expect a happy healthy environment.

I have been guilty of this in the past and lost two different fish(both of which I had for more than 3yrs) and I came to the conclusion that my pink skunk clownfish would have to adapt. So after only 4 months of giving the anemone to a friend the clown took up a surrogate host-green frogspawn colony and then later to hosting in a green open brain for 3 more years.

I'm not trying to preach, but in a closed reef the chances of any fish getting spooked and ending up in a stinging death of hell will continue.

brotherd
03-09-2014, 04:35 AM
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. The first fish it consumed was near death from a power head mishap. This incident was an unfortunate surprise for me. I'm remembering that right before the incident with the Naso, he was lingering dangerously close to and above the nem. I've made a couple of serious mistakes setting up this tank and this is one of them. I intend to keep the nem but perhaps not in this tank.

BlueTang<3
03-09-2014, 04:38 AM
My first thought when I read this earlier was the naso was ill. I have always kept large carpet anemones as well as bubble tips. Have had perching fish like mandarins, hawk fish and many little wrasses. Only time I have had a fish go missing was a ill or injured fish. As we speak I have 40 ish fish in my tank with 2 large carpets each over 15 inches I have seen the fish swim into them chasing food no issue.

brotherd
03-09-2014, 05:14 AM
My first thought when I read this earlier was the naso was ill. I have always kept large carpet anemones as well as bubble tips. Have had perching fish like mandarins, hawk fish and many little wrasses. Only time I have had a fish go missing was a ill or injured fish. As we speak I have 40 ish fish in my tank with 2 large carpets each over 15 inches I have seen the fish swim into them chasing food no issue.

Can you post a few pics of your tank? I'm interested in the nem placement as well as water flow/power head placement.