PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Slyguy00
03-07-2014, 05:01 PM
So about a month ago I had an ich outbreak, and lost my 2 clowns, my mandarin goby and my lieutenant tang. I thought my sail fin tang was done to, and as of today he doesn't have a spec or a mark on him. I also have a convict tang that never even showed signs of ich at all. So now a month later my convict and sail fin look perfectly happy and healthy. So that leads me to my question. I know that if you have ich you have to run fallow for 3 months before adding any new fish, but since 2 of my fish survived and are now fine am I able to add more fish? or do I wait 3 months with the fish I currently have in my tank? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-07-2014, 05:16 PM
The ick is in your tank. The fish you have now are "free" of it as long as their stress level is low. Check the fish at different times of the day. Might be ick-free in the morning but have a few specks late at night.

As long as you have fish in the tank, it's NOT fallow so the three months guideline is not applicable.

Slyguy00
03-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Ok thanks, ill keep a close eye on them. He's been clear for about a week now.

spit.fire
03-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Generally most systems contain ich and most fish carry it, doesn't matter what you do. Generally when it comes out in full force and kills fish it is because there is something causing stress to those fish which weakens their immune system enough for it to take over. IMO ich is a normal part of trying to keep saltwater fish.

Slyguy00
03-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Yea I realize that part. Im just curious to know what procedure i should use to go about adding new fish. Just wait longer? Or add one and see what happens? The reason for getting the ich in the first place was buying an infected fish and not using a qt.

mark
03-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Ich shouldn't have to been part of a normal system but seems likely in a lot because we're lazy or careless.

Could go ich free by removing all the fish and place in a QT or transfer tank system then keep them out until ich runs it's cycle in display. Thing is that's going to be stressful on the fish, extra work keeping holding system and if you don't follow meticulous QT practices for absolutely everything in the future (not just fish) all your efforts would have been for nothing.

Should be remembered though, not QT'ing could be bringing in more that ich.

globaldesigns
03-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Oh boy.... The ole ICH scenario.

This is my point of view:

ICH is in all tanks, if you believe you are ich free, you probably are NOT. I don't believe in quarantining for the following reasons:

1.) fish are stressed when captured
2.) fish are continually stressed when shipped and re-homed in stores
3.) Again fish are stressed when you chase them with yet another net to capture, re-bag and transfer home from the store
4.) And Yet, they are continually stressed when you acclimate and put into a new environment.

So if you quarantine, you add even more stress points in the fishes journey. Why do that?

I have only ever lost one fish to ICH, I do have ICH in my tank, it may sometimes show a few spots (very rare), but never any issues. I don't do anything about it, I don't treat for it, nor quarantine.

What I do try to provide is the best environment. This means lots of hiding areas amongst the rock work, even for my largest fish. Clean environment with good water movement, proper lighting, etc.

By spending your time and working on the best environment for you livestock, I believe this to be much better than trying to quarantine, maintain this second system that will never be as good as your DT, and continually stressing the fish.

Again as I stated, this is what I do, my opinion and my 2 cents.

Rick