PDA

View Full Version : FS: Large encrusting/towering SPS (North Van)

GoFish
03-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Up for sale is a large encrusting SPS. It's growing on a fairly flat shelf type rock and has tiny sporadic fluffy polyps.
It's brown in color with a neat growth pattern creating towers.
Ideal for a medium to large sized tank and a great addition if you're looking for a variety

Would like $30 for the whole coral (not entertaining trades at the moment). And sorry I will not hold unless I know you :)

I've never seen anything like it, I'll post a picture when I get home

Pm if interested

Cheers

regent2009
03-06-2014, 10:18 PM
sent u a private message.

GoFish
03-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Heres a pic... my blenny loves to perch on top of it. Photo taken 5 mins ago
http://i.imgur.com/HJTxVGI.gif

H2o2
03-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Blue Ridge when you break a piece off it is blue inside Coral master has it listed

SteveCGY
03-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Soft coral not sps

H2o2
03-06-2014, 11:33 PM
No its hard coral sps and I think they band it from import because it took a hit on the reefs as the make jewellery out of it beautiful blue inside

GoFish
03-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Blue Ridge when you break a piece off it is blue inside Coral master has it listed

Thanks for the ID! Have wondered since day 1 what it was. it started out from a very small frag. Its definitely blue inside

Coral master sells this for $15 for a 2" piece so a good deal for someone as its about 7" around at the base and has 4 towers that are about 4" tall

Blue Ridge -Heliopora Coerulea

LIGHTING: low
FLOW: medium
GROWTH RATE: moderate
RECOMMENDED EXPERIENCE LEVEL: novice
ADDITIONAL INFO: Peaceful & easy to keep blue ridge coral makes a nice addition to any reef. This coral has a hard exterior, but is considered an octo-coral because of its polyp structure. Since it is a hard coral we listed this very interesting species in the SPS section. It has a very unique growth form that encrusts, plates & spans into finger-like columns. Polyps are white making for a beautiful contrast. Does well in a low or high light.
Its still available :smile:

SteveCGY
03-06-2014, 11:42 PM
No its hard coral sps and I think they band it from import because it took a hit on the reefs as the make jewellery out of it beautiful blue inside

O well every website like live aquaria,fresh marine,aquarium domain etc.. other than coral master has it listed as a soft coral not SPS. Just going by what I read from trusted sites.

Very different and cool coral none the less.

soapy
03-06-2014, 11:50 PM
O well every website like live aquaria,fresh marine,aquarium domain etc.. other than coral master has it listed as a soft coral not SPS. Just going by what I read from trusted sites.

Hard.

GoFish
03-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Blue Ridge Coral is the only reef building Soft Coral which has a hard skeleton. The body of Heliopora coerulea is composed of Calcium Carbonate and Iron salts. The structure of the Blue Ridge Coral is columnar, encrusting, branched and plate-like. When alive, Heliopora coerulea is brown in color. Blue Ridge Coral has a hard skeleton composed of aragonite deposits. The skeleton of Blue Ridge Coral is sky blue in color owing to its absorption of iron from the marine water around it. Blue Ridge Coral then oxidizes the absorbed iron into blue salt which is subsequently deposited into Heliopora coerulea’s skeleton imparting it blue color. The outer surface of Blue Ridge Coral is covered with long and thin olive colored polyps. Each polyp of Heliopora coerulea has eight tentacles.

Where's the poll lol

soapy
03-07-2014, 02:22 AM
Go figure!

MMAX
03-07-2014, 12:07 PM

You're right, not an SPS. It is classified as a soft coral as HARD as that might be to imagine.

GoFish
03-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Sold