PDA

View Full Version : filter sock?

Amadod2
03-05-2014, 03:52 PM
how many of you guys use filter socks in your sump, i was wondering how or even if its a benefit of having one. thoughts???

reeferfulton
03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
I have used socks for the last year. But with my new tank build I made provisions for floss instead.

I got tired of cleaning them.
They plug up, so they must be pulling something out of the water

Reef Pilot
03-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I used to use socks, but not anymore,... replaced by a big sponge between baffles. Got tired of cleaning them. Sponge is much easier and quicker, and does the same job.

Did try going with nothing for a while, but that was definitely not good. Water not as clear, and skimmer needed cleaning more often, esp the neck, as it would accumulate crap more quickly.

tang daddy
03-05-2014, 04:53 PM
I use filter socks I am am doing larger cleanings...ie scraping algae off glass, blowing rocks.

FishyFishy!
03-05-2014, 04:58 PM
In my old sump it had spots for 2 4" filter socks. They worked awesome, however cleaning them constantly sucked. They would plug up and overflow once every 3-4 days. I was going through a tonne of socks. It got too annoying cleaning my sets all the time.

So, I put a sheet of egg crate over the filter sock holders and clamped in filter floss. Worked about the same for catching stuff, only it lasted longer, and replacement was a breeze. I just cut a whole bunch of pads the same size and simply replaced it with a new one when required.

I also ran a larger mechanical filter inbetween baffles in my sump for larger stuff. It barely ever had to be changed. It was black very coarse stuff made for filtering ponds. Worked well too.

Amadod2
03-05-2014, 05:32 PM
interesting, i added a filter sock to my system on monday and had to clean it today, it was brown!!! so it is working, i just looking for other options so i wont have as much maintenance. also aren't you guys worried with the socks or the floss that they become detritus traps and release detritus back into the system?

FishyFishy!
03-05-2014, 05:35 PM
interesting, i added a filter sock to my system on monday and had to clean it today, it was brown!!! so it is working, i just looking for other options so i wont have as much maintenance. also aren't you guys worried with the socks or the floss that they become detritus traps and release detritus back into the system?

As with anything left unmaintained, yes it very well could. But if you're maintaining your tank the way you should, floss or socks both need to be cleaned or changed regularily.

That being said, I prefer the floss. Its cheap by the roll. I only use like $20 worth a year, but take countless hours cleaning filter socks. Being able to just throw out the floss is much less work.

Amadod2
03-05-2014, 05:40 PM
sounds good im sold on the floss, now i just need to find a way to put it in my system.

Magickiwi
03-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Cleaning them isn't a big deal to me. I just toss the soiled ones in a bucket with some water and bleach and then once every couple weeks or so they get thrown in the washing machine with some more bleach, an extra rinse and then they are good to go.

Masonjames
03-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Cleaning them isn't a big deal to me. I just toss the soiled ones in a bucket with some water and bleach and then once every couple weeks or so they get thrown in the washing machine with some more bleach, an extra rinse and then they are good to go.

I do the exact same. However you can't argue with 20 bucks a year in floss replacement. Hmm. Now I'm left to ponder. Prob costs more a year just to wash the socks. Lol. I do like being able to siphon debris right from my display into the sock though. Which is probably easier for me to accomplish with my setup then with floss.

Magickiwi
03-05-2014, 08:13 PM
I dunno, to me it seems much easier to deal with than floss. No cutting, no soupy ugly crap to scoop out of my sump, no loose fibers floating around etc. Just one sock to toss in a bucket.

To each their own. Being able to just toss the stuff in the garbage balances out the prep work you have to do. Plus the filter is always brand new vs. one that's been washed a few dozen times.