PDA

View Full Version : Clams

FishingGoalie
03-02-2014, 08:17 PM
So after going to concept yesterday I think I want to get a clam. I just need to know if there is any thing special I need for them and things to keep in mind. I have a 150 gallon with the ATI Hybrid Powermodule light. Also some past experiences with clams would be nice too.

Thanks
Hayden

Baker
03-02-2014, 08:30 PM
I thought clams were difficult to take care of but I think just good water and light is enough. Im no expert though.

Coral Hoarder
03-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Good lights don't move it after you place it as youdont want to damage its foot high calcium levles and good water quality

FishingGoalie
03-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Good lights don't move it after you place it as youdont want to damage its foot high calcium levles and good water quality

Ok how high of calcium? Do you know?

makana
03-02-2014, 09:11 PM
I am sure all clams are different but my crocea has been very hardy in my nano. I have read they filter the water and actually prefer water that is a little higher in nutrients. My best advice would be to place it where it is secure. I have read that in nature they are found wedged in between rocks with only the mantle showing. Mine wasn't secure enough and its foot was damaged by my urchin. Now it is more secure and doing well, but only has a small portion of the foot left.

hillegom
03-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Just normal new salt water (NSW) levels
I don't have a clam but I believe 400-450

Coral Hoarder
03-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Like430 cal has worked best for me but by good water I mean no insane nitrights

kazzman
03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
I've had clams for years ;) I've had good experience and bad just find a spot they like and let them be they will do there thing good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyd
03-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Clams are generally very easy keepers. With your lighting, somewhere on the sandbed would be ideal. They like lower flow but will handle medium flow no problem.

One thing I strongly suggest is to put a flat rock, half clam shell or piece of travertine tile under the clam when you place it in your tank. Just bury it under your sand so it is out of sight. This way, if you ever decide to move your clam, you can just move it with the tile or rock, etc. without damaging the clams foot.

I use travertine tile I buy from Home Depot. Comes in 3" x 6" small tiles and are easy to hide in the sandbed.

ronau
03-04-2014, 03:21 PM
I bought a bunch of these clam holders for future clams:

http://www.fragtasticreef.com/Clam-Holder-Ceramic-Clam-Holder.htm

pinkreef
03-04-2014, 03:28 PM
i have matted filefish (2) will i ever be able to have a clam with them?

Spyd
03-04-2014, 03:38 PM
From what I have read, you should be safe with the File Fish and a clam. The File Fish will go after corals more so. Angels and clams do not get a long though... The dwarf angels are generally fine but the larger ones will nip at them.

Aquattro
03-04-2014, 03:47 PM
From what I have read, you should be safe with the File Fish and a clam. The File Fish will go after corals more so. Angels and clams do not get a long though... The dwarf angels are generally fine but the larger ones will nip at them.

Except when that isn't true :) My file fish went after my clam (and got it's face stuck) and my Emperor Angel has never even looked at my clam. Go figure, eh?