PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto Tumbler

darb
03-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Any ideas for an active chaeto tumbler?

I was thinking about running a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 PVC the length of my chamber, drilling a few small holes pointed up and putting a small power head on one end.

Suggestions?

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=894&pictureid=6538

mark
03-02-2014, 06:05 PM
I just put a small power head in my fuge, no additional piping.

darb
03-04-2014, 03:23 AM
I just put a small power head in my fuge, no additional piping.

does it tumble or just get pushed into a corner?

lastlight
03-04-2014, 06:21 AM
i don't even tumble mine. still grows bright green with no dead spots until it quickly fills my fuge which is 16x16. I actually let the starter ball get sucked to my tunze 6025 so it's anchored and it just expands from there.

FishyFishy!
03-04-2014, 02:07 PM
If you want to truely tumble it, you will have to have a good sized cube, with nothing in it but the cheato. This way it dosn't get caught up in anything. I used an external pump plumbed into pvc returns with small holes drilled in it. I put one at the top of the aquarium and one on the other side on the bottom to create the rotational flow. Worked really well. But its a lot of work, and more suited to a remote fuge setup. If this is just in your sump with egg crate walls don't bother trying to tumble it.

darb
03-05-2014, 03:32 AM
I was also thinking of finding a short section of large diameter PVC pipe, cutting it into quarters and fixing the quarters in the corners.

I gotta do something, it isn't working as it is. the chaeto grows and floats to the surface, forcing itself above the water and thus dying.