PDA

View Full Version : Blasting rock a couple lots over...

DSlater
02-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Hoping somebody has advise for us... We just got notified yesterday that rock is going to be blasted in the lot kitty-corner behind us /one over. We have a 220g DT w/ an 80g sump. The tank itself is on a floating floor that is reinforced, it's on a wooden stand with Styrofoam under the tank. The sump is in the crawlspace on a concrete floor but on a wooden stand w/ Styrofoam under the tank as well. The rock work is on the bare glass and the sand was added after all the rock was placed. We're going to try to reinforce the rock this weekend. I really have no idea what to expect. Thinking we'll put a cover over the tank for the blast... should we turn off the return pump and gate valves for the blast and darken the entire tank for stress minimization? Our stock list include a Powder Blue Tang, a Purple tang and a show size male blonde naso tang, 3 blue/green chromis, 2 clowns, pistol shrimp w/ randalls goby, clown goby, starry blenny, cleaner wrasse... as well as 2 cleaner shrimp and urchins, etc. cuc...
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Aquattro
02-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Devon, you're worrying about nothing. The blast will give a bit of a rumble in the ground, it might even startle the fish a bit. The tank will be fine. Unless rocks come through your roof, in which case insurance will cover it :)

DSlater
02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Devon, you're worrying about nothing. The blast will give a bit of a rumble in the ground, it might even startle the fish a bit. The tank will be fine. Unless rocks come through your roof, in which case insurance will cover it :)

Oh awesome!! Thank you Brad. Last night I dreamt about the tank busting and losing all my fish & coral and flooding our house. Would you still cover it so a fish doesn't jump out from the noise?
Cheers,
Devon

Aquattro
02-28-2014, 05:43 PM
No, two years ago I had days of blasting across the street, fish hardly noticed. No harm covering it if you have anything inclined to jump though.

paddyob
02-28-2014, 05:50 PM
If the blast would do that much damage, or any at all to the neighbors homes , I can almost guarantee it would not even be permitted to take place.

It would be endangerment.

DSlater
02-28-2014, 06:02 PM
If the blast would do that much damage, or any at all to the neighbors homes , I can almost guarantee it would not even be permitted to take place.

It would be endangerment.

True - just had me worried. A home inspector has been hired and he's going to all the surrounding houses to have a report of pre-existing issues so if damage is done (structural) then their insurance will cover from the blast.

DSlater
02-28-2014, 06:03 PM
No, two years ago I had days of blasting across the street, fish hardly noticed. No harm covering it if you have anything inclined to jump though.

Good to know! Thanks Brad :)

StirCrazy
03-02-2014, 04:09 PM

that realy depends, in your area Brad there is a lot of sediment, my old house if I would have had it when they took down the small mountian about 3 lots over my tank would have burst apart. as it was it cracked drywall, stucco, ect... of course this was about 6 blasts over a couple weeks.

I would find out when the blast is going to be and be home for it, most likly it will be fine though.

Steve