PDA

View Full Version : Major debates settled?

IanWR
02-27-2014, 02:29 PM
I have seen a few threads bemoaning the apparent slow down in posts on this (and other) reefing forums. I wonder if it has something to do with the major debates about how to run marine aquaria being settled?

By this I mean that the Berlin system (more or less) seems to have won the day over plenum and other older methods. This is not to say that you cannot have success with other approaches, but that the default set up now is: rock a least 1/2 lb/g (rock could be live or dry), a skimmer, and fairly strong lighting.

There are things that some people use that others don't that doesn't generate heated debate:

- refugium
- filter socks
- GFO
- GAC

There are other issues that do seem to create a bit of spirited discussion

- led vs t5
- carbon dosing (pellets, vinegar, etc)
- ULNS
- DSB
- ATS

I think until there is another revolutionary approach/technology we will see a bit of a lull. Perhaps the next style of reef that could create some interesting conversations will be cold water reefs? I know there are some out there,but they are still rare.

- Ian

don.ald
02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Cold water reefs? I guess it depends on where u live. Not so rare here on the coast. You can find a lot of cold displays in the local schools for example.