PDA

View Full Version : BTA and lighting question

tlhood
02-26-2014, 03:32 PM
I am interested in getting a bubble tip anemone, but was curious if I had enough lighting to support it. My tank is currently running under two T5 compact fluorescents, and is about 20 inches deep, with the highest rock about mid tank. I will also be running a couple of those RGB LED strips for some extra light and colour.

Would this be sufficient to have a happy BTA anemone in regards to lighting requirements?

Coralgurl
02-26-2014, 03:39 PM
In my experience, 2 t5 lights will not be enough for any coral. I had a similar set up and when I added coral, they would not open, almost lost them. Supplement with LEDs or add more t5's.

tlhood
02-26-2014, 03:50 PM
I've got three monti caps, a birds nest frag, some zoas/plays, a torch, leptoseris, and a favia, and they are all doing fine under the T5s. Colours are good and they are opening up and growing really nicely. Maybe these are stronger than the T5's you had?

They are the stock T5 10K 50/50 actinic PC fluorescents that come with the RSMs.

I will be supplementing with LEDs though, as you suggested, to get some colour to pop as th T5s are quite white, and it will help add some more light which will make my birds nest happier.

Coralgurl
02-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Could be you have better lights than what I had for sure. When I added the LEDs, plus used better t5's, I got amazing growth from all my corals, including a rbta. So you should be fine.

tlhood
02-26-2014, 04:05 PM
When you got your new T5s and LEDs where did your RBTA like to sit in your tank?

Coralgurl
02-26-2014, 04:12 PM
He sat lower to the bottom. Was an 18" deep tank, lights were 6" above. When I moved it to the 180 gl under radions, he is higher up, middle of the tank. When I got him, he was maybe 4" across fully expanded. He is now well over a foot big and still growing. I have another rbta that has split, both are at the bottom of the tank.

mark
02-26-2014, 07:04 PM
if lights not enough for a BTA could you supplement with direct feeding?

strider
03-02-2014, 06:18 AM
I have had BTA for 6 years. At times even had 8. I don't think light is enough as others have said but if your sps corals are doing fine I think Anenome will be ok. If not enough light anenome will move around and pick the highest rock and stretch open towards the light if too much it will move down to sand area.

Just make sure to buy one that's been in a tank few generations and not wild from store.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/02/sydubyde.jpg

This is what mine looks like :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk