PDA

View Full Version : LF CUSTOM SUMP HELP

moloto
02-24-2014, 11:38 PM
My RSM 130D is finally stabilizing with the current stock list of softies and LPS.

I'm still getting parameter swings every so often. The sump chamber in back is barely keeping up. I'm using a SteveiT's INTANK Media rack (tumbling chaeto) with diy LED and using a Tunze 9002 skimmer.

I'm tired of constantly changing the floss every other day.

Figure I'm ready to upgrade to a SUMP SYSTEM.

I'm hoping to capitalize on the wealth of knowledge and experience from the Marine members.
I would appreciate any help where a custom sump can be bought or someone to build a sump to fit within the stand dimensions.

I will be getting a LITEREEF overflow.

I toyed with the idea of building a DIY SUMP from a standard 10 gal tank. I not happy with the 12" height of a 10 gal - height restricts the skimmer I'm looking to use.

PM me with what info you may have.
Many thanks in advance for everyone's help.

moloto
02-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Bump. TTT.

No one willing to share their wisdom and experience???

Wheelman76
02-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Here's a good site to give you a few ideas on different designs.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/

If you come up with an idea that you like , email a picture to John at JL Aquatics and they will build you a sump , if you don't want to attempt it yourself.

moloto
02-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Hey Jess,

Thanks for the links. I'm undecided whether to go DIY (low $) or have a custom made (high $). Only constraint I have is finding a water tight container which has these dimensions 18"Lx14"Wx16"H. Need space for ATO container.

I've tried toying with restaurant food containers and totes (GREAT DIY IDEA suggested by TANG DADDY - BIG THANKS TO YOU CHRIS) and even old nano tanks.

I now thinking of de-assembling a 20g high and cutting the LENGTH to suit my stand requirements. I'm just not comfortable cutting the glass. Is the glass on the standard 20g plate glass? A stupid question, right?

byee
02-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Hey Jess,

Thanks for the links. I'm undecided whether to go DIY (low $) or have a custom made (high $). Only constraint I have is finding a water tight container which has these dimensions 18"Lx14"Wx16"H. Need space for ATO container.

I've tried toying with restaurant food containers and totes (GREAT DIY IDEA suggested by TANG DADDY - BIG THANKS TO YOU CHRIS) and even old nano tanks.

I now thinking of de-assembling a 20g high and cutting the LENGTH to suit my stand requirements. I'm just not comfortable cutting the glass. Is the glass on the standard 20g plate glass? A stupid question, right?

I just had a 16x16x16 cube custom built for $60.

I'll be adding glass panels to partition the cube into 3 chambers as a sump.

PM me for the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myka
02-26-2014, 01:10 AM
You could get a glass company to cut the glass for you and you assemble it yourself.

byee
02-26-2014, 01:57 AM
16x16x16 works out to 8.88 square foot of 1/4" glass. 1/4" glass sells for $6/ sq ft.

Still need to in the cost to polish the edges at $ 0.20/lineal inch. Not sure what the black plastic trim cost. Don't forget the $5 for a tube aquarium silicone adhesive.

In this case, DIY will cost more.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy038
02-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I have a sump for sale, click my link to my add and see if mine will work for you.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104667

moloto
02-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks for link but your sump looks to be from a 20 gal tank. The standard 24" length is too long for my cabinet.

Thanks for the trying to help.