PDA

View Full Version : Banggai school

mark
02-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Wife just seen these so who am I to say no. Wondering about getting 2 or 3, will they school or just end up killing off each off unless they bond?

paddyob
02-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Will end up losing some.

Once two pair up, they become territorial.

A true school has many fish so the likelyhood of a fish being singled out for bullying is low. In an aquarium, not the same.

Try find a bonded pair. Go with two only.

Doug
02-25-2014, 01:30 AM
Wife just seen these so who am I to say no. Wondering about getting 2 or 3, will they school or just end up killing off each off unless they bond?

Mark, I kept three in my 225g, so they had lots of room. Two became females and the larger a male. They kept him so busy with young I had to separate them but they never fought.

Now I added 3 smaller ones to my new 50g tank. One has become larger and he is harassing both the two smaller ones. But they all feed together, so not sure whats going to become of it.

Myka
02-25-2014, 02:40 AM
Two became females and the larger a male.

Banggai don't change sex like Clownfish or Wrasse etc.

Sent from my Dungeon using mad Ninja Skillz.

dnalamb
02-25-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant as they matured he found out their sexes as you can't tell when they are young.

Doug
02-25-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant as they matured he found out their sexes as you can't tell when they are young.

Thank you.

Although I kind of figured they never morphed like clowns, I was not sure how you figured out their different sexes, until I read this article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-to-determine-the-sex-of-banggai-cardinalfish

I just went by adding the young ones and leaving those that mated and removed those that fought. :D

howdy20012002
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Hey there Mark
I have been trying to breed Banghais for last 2 years and am now starting to have a decent amount of success.
what I find works well is either having a pair of them....or have a large group of them.
personally I have 2 groups of 20 plus banghais in each tank - seems to minimize the aggression because it is less likely one or two will be singled out. if you have a smaller group I find that the dominant pair starts to take everyone else out.
btw, I do have a couple of my own CB banghais available.
if interested pm me.
thanks
Neal