PDA

View Full Version : Coral under only blue and purple LEDs?

Wretch
02-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Is it ok to keep coral(a hammer and 3 zoa/palys at the moment) under only blue and purple lights? Everything is opening up and looks fine but not sure who long it will last. Trying to decide how much time I have to get a new light. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks

paddyob
02-24-2014, 04:18 PM
It's not the most desirable. You are missing a big part of the spectrum.

I think temporarily it would be ok. But in the long term your growth will not be as good. And you lose a huuuge chunk of color you "see" with the eye.

Seriak
02-24-2014, 04:56 PM
I know someone who exclusively runs their tank under blue LED lighting and has great growth.

gqlmao
02-24-2014, 04:59 PM
I have had my zoas run strictly on RB leds for 2 months now. I haven't had any issues, growth rates aren't as fast but colors are good. There is a LFS in Calgary that runs his LPS and softy tank purely on RB leds, and its been like that for months.

lpsreefer
02-24-2014, 05:41 PM
I know someone who exclusively runs their tank under blue LED lighting and has great growth.

me too.....
he also had it under blue/purple spectrum for year and years with stunning grow to his corals!
when he put a white light on his tank the whole thing was growing purple in coralline algae.
(the white light only stay on for a few days before it was taking offline.)

jorjef
02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Question to the guys posting that have first hand knowledge of the good results.

What type of corals other than Zoas are in these tanks? I'm guessing mostly LPS but be more specific if you could. I have considered running all blue on my LED's but have been a little hesitant.

Seriak
02-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Question to the guys posting that have first hand knowledge of the good results.

What type of corals other than Zoas are in these tanks? I'm guessing mostly LPS but be more specific if you could. I have considered running all blue on my LED's but have been a little hesitant.

LPS and softies. Haven't tried this with SPS.

neoh
02-24-2014, 10:38 PM
I run mine with about 5% whites with positive results. I find I get better results the least amount of white I add. As far as I know and understand, whites are majorly just for aesthetic purposes.

Here's a good article on light spectrum in the reef tank:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

matt_C
02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
heres a little reading
http://www.biolbull.org/content/135/1/149.full.pdf

Wretch
02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the feed back. Working on a new light.