PDA

View Full Version : what kind of crab is this?

snaggle
07-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I found this crab in my tank I was gone for 4 months after I got my las peace f LR my dad was taking care of my fish. I didnt loose any fish untell the day I got home and found this crab.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=925

thanks for the help

Quinn
07-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Here's a recent thread on identifying crabs: http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10718&highlight=crab. In short, it's difficult for us non-PhD types to do, and I would either remove him if you're worried he'll cause problems, or leave him until he does.

snaggle
07-27-2004, 09:19 PM
he did eat my clown on the day I got home. so I banished him to the sump.

Quinn
07-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Is there a possibility that the fish was already dead or dying, and the crab just happened onto the carcass?

snaggle
07-27-2004, 09:56 PM
the fish was swimming and looking good the night I got home I did clean the tank when I got home and clouded the water. So I think the clown swam too close to claw of the crab and didnt see the crab.

Quinn
07-27-2004, 10:05 PM
What did you do when you cleaned the tank?

snaggle
07-27-2004, 10:11 PM
just a scrub pad that I had for like 2 years and never used it on any other tank. I was going to do a water change in the moning so I stured up the gravle so lots of the junk go in to the sump and clean it out of there.

Quinn
07-27-2004, 10:20 PM
I've got a soft spot for hitchhiker crabs so I'm probably unknowingly trying to find an excuse here, but do you often stir up the gravel? There is a possibility this will have released some sort of toxin or otherwise just created anoxic conditions in the tank, and the clownfish was fatally affected by these. Do you have other fish?

snaggle
07-27-2004, 10:55 PM
I have one other fish an enginer gobie. I stur the gravle every six months or so. I will not kill the crab he will live in the sump. that way he can clean out the sumb and not kill my fish.

Quinn
07-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Sounds good. I'm still not convinced the crab is the sole culprit, but I don't need to push the case if he's been given an official pardon. :smile: