PDA

View Full Version : Bangaii babies!

halwake
02-23-2014, 03:57 AM
Was looking in my corner overflow from outside the tank and seen something moving. Took a closer look and found a small Bangaii baby around six mm long. Was looking around the tank and at the back corner where I made an egg crate box for my mandarin feeder there were at least three more that I could see. I knew my male was holding and was at the point where we could see a little tail poking out once and a while so we made up some baby brine shrimp a few days ago. Squirted some into the bottom of the overflow and could see the baby lunging after them. Turned off the pumps and squirted some more into the egg crate box for the others and could see them jerking all over. Guess we will see if they make it. Don't really have any predatory fish. Have no idea how to get the guy out of the bottom of the corner overflow but it is very safe for him there right now. Thought it was pretty cool. First time for us.

KPG007
02-23-2014, 05:00 AM
Very cool! My bangaii have carried babies before, but they always end up as fish food. :sad:

Good luck with yours.

Myka
02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
If you can, make a fake urchin and put it near their favourite spot. If you put the "spines" close enough it will provide safety for them. They certainly can survive in a reef tank.

halwake
02-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Made up an urchin with bamboo skewers and dropped it in to where they are in the egg crate box. Guess we will see what happens. Looks like eight total so far. Still not sure how to get the guy out of the bottom of the corner overflow. Such him out with some tubing or just leave him there? Guess I will be making small batches of brine every few days for a bit.

EmilyB
02-24-2014, 02:40 AM
Oh fun! Good luck with them. I remember years ago having a baby survive in my sump with all those big pumps....so you never know. Here's my recent attempt, they are in my main tank as well.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=882316#post882316

halwake
02-24-2014, 03:09 AM
Looks like nine or so. Eating brine like crazy. They prefer to hang out in the small egg crate box I made to feed my mandarin. They are in a low flow area of the tank so we will see how it goes. Should they be fed two or three times a day?

Oh fun! Good luck with them. I remember years ago having a baby survive in my sump with all those big pumps....so you never know. Here's my recent attempt, they are in my main tank as well.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=882316#post882316

EmilyB
02-24-2014, 03:17 AM
I still feed at least twice, did three or even four, they were always hungry. Stepped up water changes from the sump to keep tank quality up.