PDA

View Full Version : blue legged hermit crabs

1bigstud
02-21-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a thriving star fish, and snail population in my tank.
I've been told blue legged hermit crabs are safe and wont go after these.
thoughts?

Slyguy00
02-21-2014, 08:37 AM
No blue hermits are safe. I have tons of snails and baby snails in my tank with lots of hermits. Hermits are stupid, they would rather just kill each other.

kien
02-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Generally speaking blue hermits are safe and good reef custodians. However, they are classified as scavengers, which means if the going gets tough, they will, well, scavenge and won't hesitate to eat whatever they can eat. I myself have never had any issues with my blue legged and I have quite a few starfish in my tank. Another concern is that if they start to get too cramped in their shells they will want to upgrade their crib..

kien
02-21-2014, 03:19 PM
No blue hermits are safe. I have tons of snails and baby snails in my tank with lots of hermits. Hermits are stupid, they would rather just kill each other.

Is that "no blue hermits are safe" or "no, blue hermits are safe" ? :-)

Magickiwi
02-21-2014, 03:26 PM
My hermits all eat my snails. Especially the nassarius snails for some reason... But I'd rather have them than not, they add a lot of activity to the reef.

kien
02-21-2014, 03:28 PM
My hermits all eat my snails. Especially the nassarius snails for some reason... But I'd rather have them than not, they add a lot of activity to the reef.

there's probably not enough other stuff for them to scavenge, so they go after the next easiest meal, the snails.

Slyguy00
02-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Is that "no blue hermits are safe" or "no, blue hermits are safe" ? :-)

Sorry it was late lol. That would be a no, hermits are safe lol. At least mine

pinkreef
02-21-2014, 04:18 PM
blue legged hermits grow very large (at least mine did) knocked everything over and are more aggresive. i like to get scarlets (with the yellow eyes) and the ones with the blue tips on their legs as they are peaceful. and put in a full 12 hour shift every day!:smile:

1bigstud
02-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Ive inherited a bit of hair algae, and am starting to get some build up on my rocks.
right now im able to blow the rocks clean, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions thay would be safe With tje stuff in my tank.

1bigstud
02-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Not a build of algae, but dirt. Actually ive been able to yank most of the hair algae out on my last water change, however a few stubborn spots that have really hunkered in.