PDA

View Full Version : leaking from bulkhead?!?!

manaf
02-20-2014, 10:15 PM
so i think im leaking from my output coming from the sump (drilled from bottom)
now just wanting to know what are my choices ? its a fully setup reef too:(

not leaking alot but enough to make a little puddle , im guessing there isnt no glue that is reef safe and can bond in water ahah :(

manaf
02-20-2014, 10:17 PM
oh and its a 72 gallon bowfront

Dyspnea
02-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Try tightening the bulk head a little bit, but make very small adjustments. If no improvement you may need to replace it

Adrenaline101
02-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Sorry if I'm getting this wrong, is it leaking from a bulkhead on the sump or the bulkhead on the bottom of the tank. Is the bulkhead inside of an overflow box?

manaf
02-20-2014, 10:31 PM
its leaking from the bottom of the tank onto the sump the output is not in a over flow, runs through a one way valve so water can only go out ,

so tightening it might be hard to reach from where the sump is would have to try doing in through the tank??

Myka
02-20-2014, 10:32 PM
its leaking from the bottom of the tank onto the sump the output is not in a over flow, runs through a one way valve so water can only go out ,

so tightening it might be hard to reach from where the sump is would have to try doing in through the tank??

Could you take a pic? This sounds odd. I can't imagine a bulkhead positioned so it could be tightened fro inside the tank. It should require tightening from the outside of the tank, but your setup sounds uncommon.

manaf
02-20-2014, 10:41 PM
the hose on the right is the out take and is the one leaking sorry if the pictures are choppy

Adrenaline101
02-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Is the hose barb threaded or glued into the bulkhead? And is the that where it is leaking? Normally I see bulkheads the other way around with the nut on the bottom, main thing is the seal should be on the wet side.

If the bottom barb is removable you might be able to drain the tank below the output nozzle and reseal it.
Otherwise from my knowledge it will require a tank drain.

*edited, I looked again and is that crystals forming at the edge of the hose? The lack of a clamp could be the leak

Myka
02-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Are you sure it is the bulkhead itself, and not just leaking where the hose goes onto the barb?

manaf
02-20-2014, 11:24 PM
leak isnt coming from the hose at all i took off the clamp trying to get a better look, its defiantly coming from the bulk head , is their anything that i can get to put my stuff in temporary ? or anyone selling a drilled 4 ft 72 gallon plus?

Adrenaline101
02-20-2014, 11:35 PM
If it as simple as installing a new bulkhead then you shouldn't need a temporary tank, livestock and water could go in a big rubbermaid or 2 while you install a new bulkhead and thead in new fittings etc.

If you are comfortable having the livestock ( I don't know how much you have) in rubbermaids with pumps running for a few days I would highly recommend getting an overflow installed. Wont have to worry about draining again.

reefwars
02-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Orca can be used under water :)

GoFish
02-21-2014, 12:01 AM
It looks like you have a nut on the topside (underwater). A nut on the bottomside and also your barbed fitting is threaded into the pipe coming down? Is that correct?
You could try using a pipe wrench on the top (not a dirty old shop one) :neutral:, as long as the bulkhead has a rubber gasket and not silicone (as that would probably make it worse). The bottom nut looks like it could only be tightened using some McGuyver skills (a custom tool that would look like an angle grinder wrench with long posts). If its leaking from where the 'barbed' fitting that screws in then you could use a balloon or condom and a tight rubber band to stop the flow while you spun that out and Teflon taped or siliconed that connection?

Orca can be used under water :)

This may be your best option if used from the topside

It doesn't look like the right type of fitting to use to begin with?!

reefwars
02-21-2014, 12:22 AM
The gasket is on the wet side it's a smooth flange it's thread on both ends

Verify your bulkhead isn't cracked

Gasket could be shot or God forbid even a small crack

reefwars
02-21-2014, 12:26 AM
That whole setup is just scary IMO

reefwars
02-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Could be silicone too which is even scarier

The Guy
02-21-2014, 02:51 AM
As much as it's a PITA to have to tear your tank down, I suggest you do it and put in a new bulk head fitting and rubber gasket, BTW that bulk head in the picture is not a nut on the top water side. I've seen those before they have a full length female thread, just another style.