PDA

View Full Version : Humidity

Craigdillman
02-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Hey wondering how people deal with humidity of big tanks that are upstairs. Ive got a 125 gallon set up and wow the humidity in the winter is out of control got a de humidifier but not sure if its keeping up. Still got lots of water around the windows

What do other people do?

BlueTang<3
02-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Glass tops, hrv in the house, my tank has a canopy on the display with a exhaust fan vented outside ran off a humidistat. I also have a cover on my sump.

kien
02-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Hey wondering how people deal with humidity of big tanks that are upstairs. Ive got a 125 gallon set up and wow the humidity in the winter is out of control got a de humidifier but not sure if its keeping up. Still got lots of water around the windows

What do other people do?

Google HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator). Lots of people (myself included), use these to take out stale humid air and to bring in fresh air from outside without losing too much heat. Dehumidification isn't it's purpose but is a nice side effect :-)

Craigdillman
02-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Ok thanks I'll look that up ill have to do somthing for sure next year, in be summer it isn't bad cause the central AC but I'm constantly wiping the windows and my little de humidifier isn't keeping up

bigmac
02-20-2014, 09:59 PM
A lot of the condensation you may experience on the windows is caused by not only the indoor humidity from the tanks; but it also has to do with your humidifier on your furnace. A lot of people don't realize that when the temperature dips outside you are supposed to be adjusting your humidifier downwards as well. Interior humidity will always form as condensation on the coldest surface of your house when it's cold outside; which will always be the windows. It also doesn't help that most builders don't educate their clients about better glass options (Lowe and triple pane). Changing your windows to triple pane and energy efficient Lowe (preferably solar control) will make a huge difference.

Craigdillman
02-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Ill double check but I'm pretty sure I don't have a humidifier on my furnace unless it's built in and not on the side like a normal one would be

mark
02-20-2014, 11:29 PM
I put in a HRV. Nice thing about it was easy sell to the wife since could honestly say improved overall air quality.

reefermadness
02-20-2014, 11:35 PM
My HRV runs 24/7. I just have it on the low setting and humidity is not a problem.

Baldy
02-21-2014, 03:36 AM
i have a 75g in our 860 sq/ft house. its not a big tank, but combined with a small house, makes for a big humidity change. i plastic my windows off in winter which helps keep the ice off of them, and as for the humidity, weve gotten used to it. its to the point now when i stay at someone elses house for any length of time my skin dries out. bonus is youll never have to buy a humidifier!

whatcaneyedo
02-21-2014, 07:25 AM
With a designated tank room I now exhaust humid air outside while drawing cold fresh air inside. Prior to this we used to run a dehumidifier but it was adding around $20 a month to our electricity bill.

kien
02-21-2014, 03:13 PM
I put in a HRV. Nice thing about it was easy sell to the wife since could honestly say improved overall air quality.

This was an added bonus for us too! Really I just wanted it cuz Tony suggested it as a good dehumidifier. At the time I really didn't care that it brought in nice fresh mountain air into the house. Well, after having an HRV for years now we would never own a house without one, even if I didn't have a tank. Having that nice fresh mountain air inside the house is priceless!

Gary
02-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Our tank is smaller (55 gallon), so the hrv has no real problem handling the humidity in the winter on its low setting. In the summer months, just running the air conditioning takes care of the humidity. An interesting note, when we had the ac installed last year, the drain line was just run to a pail for the first night as they did not get finished. It filled a five gallon pail overnight!

Craigdillman
02-26-2014, 04:49 AM
ok yea I've looked into the HRV seems pretty good and I'm all for some fresh air as well, we have zero problems in the summer but this is the first winter with the new tank

Hard to find some prices on things if you don't mind me asking what would you think a ball park would be for one

my house is 1050 square feet

like 1500$ ish ?

Gary
02-26-2014, 12:18 PM
My unit was about $1000.00. The installation well it cost me beer as it was installed by a friend. Costs will vary depending on access to everything. Most have four vent lines that are in the 5 to 6 inch range that have to go various places, as well as control wiring.

mark
02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
units alone are about a grand but had quotes an additional 3000 to get installed. Consider diy, mine (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81995).

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81995