PDA

View Full Version : Sudden apparition on my glass - What the heck is it??

8Calvin8
07-27-2004, 04:01 AM
I've been away from the 2 reef boards that I was following for WAY too long a time. One isn't even up anymore, or at least I can't find it yet - But I'm really impressed at how the Canreef site has taken off so well after just a brief look around again.

I doubt anyone will remember me as -CaLvIn- or a variant of that but if so drop me a line, k?

To the point; I was lounging on the couch this Saturday the 24th enjoying a few of my beer I made at home and deciding weather it was going to be too hot to cut the grass (Duh - of course it was!). I happened to look over in the general area of my tank just at the instant my lights came on.

I was Somewhat shocked to see, from clear across the room, This white worm-like creature on the glass about 1.5" - 2" above the substrate.
My first thought was that it looked like an image from an electron microscope of some sort of virus at 8000X magnification. It had such an intricate and precise structure to it over it's length of about 3.5".

If all of it's perfectly repeated geometrical sections were stretched out it could be about 8" long, perhaps more?

Over the last 3 days there has been no movement whatsoever. In fact - no activity or change at all. I'm therefore convinced it's not a worm at all, but perhaps an intricately laid clutch of eggs? Yet all other inhabitants have paid it no mind whatsoever. I would think it would immediately become a target if so.

I don't have a lot in my tank, a 20 tall - My recent move had some things die off which was not unexpected given the handling - :mad:
But if it helps, the only recent (2 weeks ago) additions have been:
1) a single small Conch
2) A second Ocellaris juvenile to hopefully mate with my 3 year old, previously solitary Ocellaris.
3) One new Turbo snail - he died later in the day when I noticed this 'worm'. I've had bad luck with acclimating Turbos. :frown:

- All bought from J&L

Also I have several burrowing snails (name escapes me) that come out. I thought all but 1 of 4 had died a year ago because I only ever see one out at a time, but then last week (coincidentally??) I counted 4 on my glass all at once - THEY LIVE! :biggrin:

Someone is probably giggling thier butt off at me because they've seen this a dozen times, but I'm kind of apprehensive about it. I'm sure it's not going to be detrimental at all, but now I'm curious as heck as to what this is.

Many thanks for any input. I'll try to cap a better image but it's hard messing with the focus and exposure to get a truly clear shot with the rock in the background, the glass up front and the light intense as it is.

-J

How do I paste my images from my HD to this post??? It isn't taking.

Azilla
07-27-2004, 04:49 AM
peanut worm! i know i have a bunch and it strech's out about a foot or two

8Calvin8
07-27-2004, 04:57 AM
k, thanks, Azilla. I'm looking for it now.
Can someone tell me how to paste a .JPG to this post from my HD please?

Azilla
07-27-2004, 05:00 AM
email me the picture at azilla@phatkids.net

ill host it for u.

christyf5
07-27-2004, 05:01 AM
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8276

:mrgreen:

oh and welcome back :cool:

8Calvin8
07-27-2004, 05:11 AM
hmm, I thought there was a way around posting it from a URL.
anyway I'll send to Azilla and post in gallery, becuase NO- it is NOT a peanut worm. Not even close, but thanks anyway.
This F(ruitball) thing looks like a virus magnified!

And sorry I should have read the newbie section , so thanks Christy.

A genuine newbie waste of time there. Give me 15 mins or so.

Quinn
07-27-2004, 05:15 AM
hmm, I thought there was a way around posting it from a URL.

Oh, sure is, just install Apache or a similar webserver on your computer and provide us with the IP (preferably static)... but that is probably more hassle than just posting to the gallery. :razz:

8Calvin8
07-27-2004, 05:43 AM
Ok, I got the file size down.
Here is my "WORM" on the front glass.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/1209worm3-med.jpg?8309

Azilla
07-27-2004, 05:45 AM
hehe snail eggs i have alot on my tank toooooooooooo.

8Calvin8
07-27-2004, 05:56 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/1209worm4-med.jpg?409

You gotta be **edited** me.
all this for just some Cerith snail eggs?

Wouldn't they have been eaten by now?

what can I expect form here then. Can I protect them?

For size reference, can you see the left-hand hermit approaching the glass? I also caught a bit of a medium sized mushroom behind the egg clutch.

Azilla
07-27-2004, 06:02 AM
hehe i would just let them be. :cool: its part of the life of your tank now there will be alot more where they come from. :lol:

roverT
07-27-2004, 06:18 AM
Calvin you might want to consider re wording part of your last post, mabey to you gotta be poopin me hehe :biggrin: . But a mod will most likely ask you to anyways.

Azilla
07-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Why dont they have censorship turned on in the forums i dont really consider that a offense but thats just me. I do know this it can be controled in the admin area of the forums hehe :lol:

roverT
07-27-2004, 06:35 AM
I dunno, personally it doesn't bother me if people swear or not but it might to someone else here. Not trying to be a dork, I just mentioned it because it's in the member agreement. And just so this post does't get off topic, snail eggs for sure.

Aquattro
07-27-2004, 07:17 AM
I have edited three items now. I'll ask that the language be toned down to a family level, as there are younger and more sensitive members here. We don't turn on censorship because we trust that everyone can express themselves without profanities. Thank you.