PDA

View Full Version : opinions on submerge pump

Ken
07-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Hi, I like to ask opinion on submerge pump choice. Which do you like, a Mag12 or the new Quiet One 4000 HH submerge pump. I used the old style Quiet One previously and very happy with it. This is for return back to main tank 92 gallon. Thanks Regards Ken

trilinearmipmap
07-27-2004, 04:22 AM
I researched several pumps before going with a Mag 12 and I am happy with my choice.

The four choices for submersible pump I looked into were:

Mag 12
Quiet One
Eheim 1264
Ocean Runner ?6000 or 6500 I forget

The Eheim was the best choice as it is the quietest and most reliable. Unfortunately it is not available and out of production.

The Quiet Ones (new style) had a lot of comments about reliability problems and noise when I searched on various forums. I was going to buy one of these but after searching a while I decided to steer clear of them.

The Ocean Runner seemed like a good choice but there did not seem to be as many people using these pumps as the Mags, therefore I did not feel as confident buying one.

My Mag 12 is almost silent and from what I have read they are very reliable, I am happy with this pump.

Ken
07-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Thanks. I was leaning towards the new style Quiet One, but I did hear similar stories that you mention, so I gladly appreciate your opinion. I would normally run an external pump for return but the situation is lack of cabinet space for one so I am force to use a in sump pump. The Mag sounds good. Regards Ken

MitchM
07-27-2004, 11:33 AM
I've been running a couple of Ocean Runners steady for about 4 years now. Well, o.k., I had to unplug them a couple of times when I moved....
I can vouch for their reliability. Great pumps.

Mitch

Jack
07-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Mag 12 will work great for a return. Parts are cheap (impellers and covers) and they seem to last forever. I use one on my 120g.