PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Where do you buy your SW livestock?

Mahawka
02-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Hey all,

I am very new to the SW water would. I just got my 10 gallon nano setup and it has gone though the nitrogen cycle. Time to stock the tank with the clean up crew.

I was wondering where do you guy normally get your fish and invertebrates?
Any good recommendations? Any good deals on special days?

Thanks

mrhasan
02-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Hey all,

I am very new to the SW water would. I just got my 10 gallon nano setup and it has gone though the nitrogen cycle. Time to stock the tank with the clean up crew.

I was wondering where do you guy normally get your fish and invertebrates?
Any good recommendations? Any good deals on special days?

Thanks

Try concept. Alongside, golds & ocean creation also have great reputation.

Magickiwi
02-19-2014, 07:13 PM
For clean up crew try Gold's on 17ave SE. Pretty inexpensive if they have what you want in stock. Pieces usually has CUC livestock in but they are easily twice the price of Golds.

magikof7
02-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Both Concept and Golds will add stuff to their next orders if you ask them to. Friday am is the best time to get to Golds after their shipment comes in. stuff goes fast in both Golds and Concept :D
I find Picies prices are rediculous when it comes to livestock of any kind especially after shopping at smaller places, they also have a lot of bad stuff in their tanks you won't want in yours.

Mahawka
02-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions for a 10 gallon cuc

Reef_Geek
02-20-2014, 03:33 AM
when you get to adding frags and corals, also check out http://coralmaster.com/

Snappy (look for this contact in the members list) runs this, and you can pick up from his place in Deer Run. He's a vendor here.

Mahawka
02-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Cool thanks.

Do they sell at a fair price?

Reef_Geek
02-21-2014, 12:51 AM
have a look at the website, in my opinion, he's got nice stuff. Prices are often cheaper than retail, but more than hobbyists' sales.

The way I see it, there's a few tiers

1) the cheapest are
-used from hobbyist sales in the For Sale Forum, or from kijiji
-fire sales, leaving hobby sales, tank break down sales, moving sales
-trades and frags, or I don't want this anymore kind of sale
For these, you wait and patrol. Snag the deals ASAP if it's good, they'll go fast. You take what you get, and get what you pay for. Sometimes the price is off, and those are the offers that stick around for a while.

2) When you want to get what you want, when you want it... you have to buy from a business. That's usually online or LFS. Coral Master is an online vendor and at least in my experience in dealing with as well as hearing from others, he has a solid reputation. Price will be higher than fire sales (point above), but you get good stuff at fair prices. Within the LFS bucket, you've got volume driven LFS like Gold's, and you've got quality places like Concepts or Oceans. You'll find each different LFS has their own types of oddities... like I know I can ask Concepts if I were seeking a rare wrasse, Wei's if I wanted Synchiropus picturatus or Centropyge potteri, Pisces if I wanted Centropyge aurantonotus... etc etc. The big box LFS will have dry goods when you need it, but may not be the cheapest... that kind of thing.

Skimmer Juice
02-21-2014, 02:23 AM
yes coralmaster is a great place to buy always nice stuff good pricing .

gtreef
04-14-2014, 01:25 AM
Yes coral master is great, prices are very fair. Wais stocks very nice SPS and LPS, he also has some pretty nice fish. Concept aquariums is great too. Another great place for coral is reef wonderland. For a cuc get some Astraea snails (eat algae), nasarius snails (scavengers, stir sandbed), blue legged hermits are nice, and cleaner shrimp are great too. Stay away from large hermits as they love to kill snails, large brittle stars, conchs, sea urchins, large growing snails, sea hares, sea apples, and sea cucumbers; they will either kill your fish, knock over corals, release toxins in the water, etc....

gtreef
04-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Haha my bad I thought you were asking what was recommended what to stock for cuc... disregard my commentary/advice :redface: