PDA

View Full Version : blinded trigger fish

asylumdown
02-19-2014, 04:12 PM
My Blue throat trigger appears to have gone blind in one eye. I'm pretty sure it happened when he got spooked one day during feeding about a week ago and took off like a rocket, slamming in to first the overflow, then the glass at full speed. Since then he's spent most of every day hiding, only coming out when I feed. I realized yesterday that as he retreats to the cave he hides in, he's been smoking his right eye/side on the rocks, as though he has no depth perception on one side of his body. The other clue is that he now only swims in left turning circles during feeding, big meaty chunks of his favourite foods literally bounce of the right side of his face and he doesn't react to the them, only to food that floats past his left side.

Is there anything I can do for him other than wait for him to adapt? I think he's hiding because he keeps spooking himself by not seeing things that are right next to him. Twice now he's nearly damaged himself again getting spooked because I've walked up to the tank while his right side was turned to the glass.

untamed
02-20-2014, 12:39 AM
I've had fish lose sight in one eye before. They do adapt very well after a short time.