PDA

View Full Version : how long is saltwater good for

donkey77
02-19-2014, 03:59 PM
If i have a 5 gallon pail made with new saltwater with a power head how long is it good for i heard 4-5 days

Slyguy00
02-19-2014, 04:00 PM
I leave mine in a rubber maid container for up to a month. If you are worried, just test the perimeters of it as it gets older. If its RODi water you shouldn't have any issues holding it for at least that long.

thmh
02-19-2014, 04:09 PM
I do not believe new saltwater have an expire date as long as you keep it circulating and you have a food grade container .

-Tony

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
No expiry date. The oceans been good for millions of years:wink:

If its in a food-safe container & good to start with and you test for salinity (due to evaporation) before you use, then you should be fine.

Kraken
02-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Please keep refrigerated. Expires 3 days after opening :mrgreen:

jason604
02-19-2014, 07:39 PM
How long would it last without a powerhead? Also I mix my saltwater in a garbage bin is that ok?

Kraken
02-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Depending on the garbage can. I would use the brute garbage can ( big grey one). Some cheaper ones leech out stuff you dont want in your tank. Those plasric rain barrels are okay too i hear.

whatcaneyedo
02-20-2014, 01:05 AM
I had a bad experience once using saltwater that was made from Seachem Reef and RO/DI water that sat in a regular garbage can for a month before use. The garbage can had been used exclusively for water changes for many years prior and the water inside was circulated constantly. The tank belonged to someone that I was helping out and I had suggested that it was a good idea to always have some new saltwater readily available for emergencies. But when we used it for a water change he suffered a partial tank crash. Several coral and fish died but not everything. It could be that something leached into the water from the plastic of the can or from the atmosphere. The can was kept in a storage room with limited access so its unlikely that anyone dumped anything into it. Or perhaps it was something else that caused the deaths and the water change was merely a coincidence. I'm really not sure, but it has made me wary of leaving new saltwater to sit unused for more than a week or two.

msjboy
02-20-2014, 02:10 AM
In the usa, one can buy premade saltwater....also instant ocean brand i believe. Wonder if it has a shelf life.