PDA

View Full Version : oceanic or all glass reef people

fishguyxd
07-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi just want some opinions
I not sure if to get a oceanic or all glass tank 72 bow I know Al Glass is a co owner of cceanic. But in the overflow are there any benifits on one vs the other or are there things I should look for. or is one built better so far only thing is price is high and warrenty time frame given.

trilinearmipmap
07-27-2004, 04:32 AM
I have 3 Oceanic tanks, two FW (no overflow) and one Reef-Ready.

I am happy with all of these tanks. However the quality seems to have gone down from the time I bought my first tank about 3 years ago, to the latest tank I got a couple of months ago.

My first Oceanic was a 75 g tank on a cherry stand, it is beautiful.

My second Oceanic is a 58 g tank on a pine stand, it is nice. However the wood canopy was put together poorly and did not hinge shut properly, I had to remove the hinges and re-install them.

My new Oceanic reef-ready 120 had a serious error in the application of the silicone inside the overflow box, I had to trim this silicone off with a razor blade to make room for my bulkhead gaskets.

The silicone joining the four sides of the aquarium is not as nicely done as it was on my first Oceanic tank, there are obvious gaps between the panes of glass.

The Oceanics now come with the same overflow system as the All-Glass tanks. I did not use the Oceanic "MegaFlow" overflow kit and built my own drain pipe system. However one part of the MegaFlow overflow kit was missing. I have e-mailed Oceanic several times but I have not received the missing piece. (I don't need the piece now but I want complete overflow standpipes to use in the future or trade to someeone else).

My overall impression is that Oceanic used to be the Lexus of aquariums but is now producing Chevys. Nothing wrong with Chevys but they are not worth a premium price.