PDA

View Full Version : Coral question...help out the reef addict

cvrle1
10-10-2001, 10:19 PM
I will go tomorrow to couple of lfs here and get some corals. I just had a question for you about care and other little things.

I have read on other sites as well as books, magazines and boards similar to these that these corals are farily easy to keep by the beginner. Before I go out I just wanted to confirm with you if these are indeed easy to keep.

I have 4 30 watt flo tubes as light. 2 of them are rated @20,000K 1 is Actinic @ 10,000K and last one is 50/50 rated at 6,500K My aquarium is 33 gallon which comes out to app. 4 watts/gallon.
I currently have some red mashrooms that are doing great. They are fully extending and I will propagate them in couple of days (or at least try to )

This is the list of corals I was looking at. I want to get couple tomorrow so fire away at your choices:

Mushroom corals
Leather Corals
Yellow Leather Coral
Colt Coral
Polyps
Bubble Coral
Anchor / Hammer Coral
Encrusting Gorgonians
Elegance Coral

Thanks for the help

FlameAngel
10-10-2001, 11:05 PM
Avoid the elegence, and yellow leathers.
Try the gorgorians when you have more experience.

FlameAngel

DJ88
10-10-2001, 11:38 PM
Hey there.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You may want to keep away fom a few IMO..

With the light you have I'd try the 'shrooms n polyps.. the leathers I'd put up high and as close to the lighting as possible. All these really need light but the shroom's n polyps.. IMO IME.

From experience I'd keep away from anything other than a softie with NO lighting. I am still trying to get my bubble coral back to health after being in a tank with 320W of NO lighting. Yup that is eight 4 foot 40W tubes..

Hope that helps.. I'd look into PC, VHO or even MH lighting if you can. My yellow leather LOVES light.. Take a peek in pics to see waht I mean..

cvrle1
10-11-2001, 01:41 AM
Thanks for help

I wish that I can get better lighting, but for a few months this will have to do. Just too straped for cache. College took $500 that could have gone to aquarium but I think education is a bit more important right now

images/smiles/icon_smile.gif images/smiles/icon_smile.gif images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

cvrle1
10-12-2001, 08:21 PM
Thanks all for the help.

I went and bought one small green star polyp for now. Problem is that it does not want to open up at all. There is only a couple of open polyps and they are not fully open as well. My parameters all check out. I even tried to place it in 2 different locations with more or less water movement and that didn't help either.

Any ideas why??

DJ88
10-12-2001, 08:25 PM
Give it a couple of days. Everything needs some time to acclimate to yor tanks parameters, light etc.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

How long have you had them?

reefburnaby
10-12-2001, 10:23 PM
Hello cvrle1,

My star polps like medium water movement (just enough movement for their little hands to sway) and bright lights. The brighter...the greener.

Just give a week for them to get used to your tank.

- Victor.

cvrle1
10-13-2001, 02:53 AM
I had them for little over 24 hours now. I know it's early but I thought that they would come out faster.

Thanks for the good news

titus
10-13-2001, 08:15 PM
Hello cvrle1,

Yes like others said, green star polyps would come out once they are used to the water. Try not to move it for now.

Yes! Education is more important! Once my freaking thesis is over, I'm a free man again. lol. Reefkeeping can be quite a big whirlpool.

Titus