PDA

View Full Version : red sea reef foundation test kit issues

iceman86
02-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Anyone else on here using there kits and having issues? Ive been struggling with my reef for a few months since buying this kit and I finally got it narrowed down to this being a test kit issue. My alk constantly reads 1.5 dkh higher than it is, calcium 80ppm, and mag 180ppm.

I proved this by checking it with some freshly mixed h2ocean salt water, then I pulled out my api and got the same readings as my salt should be, then I went to red coral and they made a fresh batch of reef crystals saltwater and tested it with a variety of their kits and gave me the water to take home and test it with my red sea and once again it proved my test kit was off.

I got my tank all balanced out now and recovering but I had to lose a bunch of high end sps while at it. Stupid red sea!!!!!!

I also wanna thank red coral for helping me out with the testing issues and my other ones ive had in the past.

spit.fire
02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
are you sure you were reading the syringe right? you have to take the number and subtract that from 1.00 to get the number to match up to the chart

unlike salifert tests (i use both just to be sure im getting an accurate reading and i dont like the red sea kh test) the charts are based of of how much regent youve used, not how much is left in the syringe

iceman86
02-17-2014, 07:19 PM
are you sure you were reading the syringe right? you have to take the number and subtract that from 1.00 to get the number to match up to the chart

unlike salifert tests (i use both just to be sure im getting an accurate reading and i dont like the red sea kh test) the charts are based of of how much regent youve used, not how much is left in the syringe

Yup I even watched videos to make sure im doing it correctly. For the calcium and mag I had to fill the syringe twice just to get the right colour.

reeferfulton
02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
I found the exact same issues. Alk reads higher then true everything else read high. Brand new tested next to salifert

The little holder thing sure is nice though