PDA

View Full Version : best method of raising up metal stand to 36"

Ryancw
02-16-2014, 12:08 AM
new tank build is just about underway at concept and im looking into the best method of raising my 60x20x30" tall 2x2 metal stand to 36" for more desirable viewing height.

do i sell and have a new one made or is building a platform from 2x6's + plywood top a cheaper alternative?? any advice is appreciated:lol:

brotherd
02-16-2014, 12:14 AM
I vote for new stand.

WarDog
02-16-2014, 01:00 AM
Why not chop the stand and weld in 6" extensions?

The Grizz
02-16-2014, 01:49 AM
Why not chop the stand and weld in 6" extensions?
If the stand is powder coated then it would damage the finish.

I would say the cheapest option for you would be to build a platform under your stand with 2x6 & 3/4" plywood. If you where here in Red Deer & your stand is not powder coated it would be easy for me to make the stand taller.

Another option would be to have a 2" square tube frame made 6" tall to go under the stand.

Adrenaline101
02-16-2014, 02:02 AM
Is the stand going to be covered in a skin when you are all done with it?
If not it all depends on what you are willing to look at all the time.
If you have the access to cheaper metal and the tools to work with it, you can cut it and weld in 6" extensions etc, or build a 6" base out of steel U- channel or square tube to paint/powder coat and match it up.

Ryancw
02-16-2014, 02:19 AM
im leaning towards building a wooden platform just due to the fact i can do it myself. i have wired and hooked up dozens of welders being that i'm an electrician but I've never used one and even if i had i wouldnt trust my work to hold up an aquarium:mrgreen: the stand will be skinned with a walnut veneer and baseboards to match the house along the bottom so im not too concerned about the appearance of an ugly wooden platform

Even just looking at the stand now the design bothers me. my nook area where the tank will sit is only 24" deep so i opted to go internal overflow but then the stand interferes with with the drain holes. (making the overflow 6 1/2" deep is the only way around this).. unless also modifying that aswell. I'm also curious why there is no additional bracing other than just the 4 uprights. Grizz maybe you could chime in on this as well?

Ryancw
02-16-2014, 02:23 AM
ideally it would be nice to have something like this in the corner where the drains sit.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9086cutout.JPG

monocus
02-16-2014, 03:00 AM
use 6x6 posts covered with plywood.you could put a doorskin cut to hide the posts.you can also leave a space for your drain and returns

The Grizz
02-16-2014, 03:38 AM
Now this is only my personal opinion and not saying how the stand is built but the use of 2" is not required. Again only guessing that the tubing is a lite wall tube, maybe 120 wall or thinner. I only use 1 1/2" 125 wall tube for each and every stand I have ever built including the one that is under my 300 gal 8'er. If built correctly with the front & back frames mitered at a 45* to make the corners & the joining tubes over the miters it will never budge an inch.

With your stand I would make a frame 6" tall out of 1 1/2" tube to sit on top of your stand, this might allow more room for your bulkheads. The 2 frames could be bolted together with stainless steel bolts so they do not shift.