PDA

View Full Version : Crab ID

muck
07-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Anyone know any good sites with pictures to ID Crabs??
And yes I realize there are a bajillion kinds of crabs, but am hoping to at least narrow it down. :smile:
I will also try to post a picture or two here within a couple days...

Scavenger
07-26-2004, 04:39 PM
try this one.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rs/index.htm

muck
07-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks Scavenger... Lots of good information in that article.

I'll need to post a pic though... and hope someone can ID it. :mrgreen:

Beverly
07-26-2004, 09:25 PM
I can ID that big bad boy :razz: Shiny black and a BIG freaking crab :eek: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

muck
07-26-2004, 09:38 PM
I can ID that big bad boy :razz: Shiny black and a BIG freaking crab :eek: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

muck
07-27-2004, 10:55 PM
This is the best shot I could get of this crab.

Thanks goes to bev for the "little" guy. Little being the operative word here. Hes about 1½ - 2 inches across. Black shiny and smooth. Claws aren't pointy at the end more flat like its for grabbing algae. Could be wrong though. :mrgreen:

http://www.muiscontrols.com/ryan/crab/crab.jpg

Scavenger
07-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Hey Muck, that guy looks very similar to one I have in my tank. Mine's a bit bigger and has white hair on it's legs. Maybe, same species or similar. Mine has not cause any noticable damage. I usually see him picking at algae. Sometimes between pipe organ stalks ect. Great for keeping algae off coral so far.

muck
07-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Hey Muck, that guy looks very similar to one I have in my tank. Mine's a bit bigger and has white hair on it's legs. Maybe, same species or similar. Mine has not cause any noticable damage. I usually see him picking at algae. Sometimes between pipe organ stalks ect. Great for keeping algae off coral so far.

The hair on his legs are kindof 'whiteish' (if thats a word :confused: )
Good to know yours hasn't caused a problem yet. I think he does deserves a chance to prove his intent, before...

Have you ever actually figured out what kind of crab he is though??